Sign in to follow this  
BassBandit35

Topwater rod

I have a 7' Medium with moderate action composite rod. I use it mainly for cranking but was wondering if this rod is also good for topwater like a walk the dog type of bait like spook and sammy? Or should I go with a slow action instead of moderate and not composite rod for topwater action? Thanks

It may not be text book, but I use a 7' MH fast for big dog walking baits. I just feel I can control the bait better. It is arguable that I should use a more moderate action because treble hooks are out there, but I feel like staying hooked up is less of an issue with the larger treble hooks. Also, the extra backbone aids in setting the larger hooks, particularly way out at the end of a long cast. I use moderate and slow actions with my Rico/Pop R fishing. Then I am dealing with smaller hooks and all I need to do is reel down on them.

I use a Loomis 843 crankbait rod for both popper & walking baits without any issue.  This is a 7' medium/moderate action rod as well.  

I like a 6' M for the task of topwaters.  Just me.

Ern

I fish from shore and find 7' to be too long when fishing in brushy areas.

The rod you have is just fine for all treble hook lures.

8-)

I have 2 rods I use.  One is an old pistol grip BPS Bionic Blade IM6 rod that's 6' long, med/fast and the other an All Star Titanium Zell Rowland topwater rod in 6'6" Light/ex fast.  I'm not keen on using anything longer that 6'6" to dog walk lures.  It just seems cumbersome to do so.  

I'm not keen on using anything longer that 6'6" to dog walk lures. It just seems cumbersome to do so.

I do prefer 6-6'6 (better accuracy and pinpoint) to dog walk around the laydowns, bushes and at the docks. I like the 7' for offshore open water with heavier treble hooks topwater.

I wouldn't go with a rod any slower than the one you have, as it might be more difficult to walk-the-dog.  I prefer a faster rod to inpart action to walkers and spitters.