Sign in to follow this  
BassinBoy

Which Braid?

Last year I used 30 lb. Sufix Braid because didnt always fish in thick cover with it.  I would fish shallow water with a little bit of weeds or what not.  I want to move up to 50 lb. braid but if im fishing semi-open water then would this create a problem because of to much line thickness?

Thanks

I'm sure there's plenty of ideas out there are far as what you could or should use, but for me #30 power pro had worked great, and I've never felt the need to go larger.  I can't remember, but I believe the #30 pp has the dia. of #8 mono.

Good luck-ff15

i have to agree i just recently moved up to 30lb braid from 20lb myself. i cant see any other reason to go much more than that. unless you fish a lot of heavy grass or floating cabbage.

I fish mainly clear water and find the 30lb Moss green Power pro with 8lb test diameter perfect for almost all situations for worms, creatures, and jigs.  However when fishing thick milfoil and hydrilla in this same clear water I move up to 50lb Power Pro with 12 lb test diameter.  When fishing floating frogs in the worst of cover or in open water I use 65 lb power pro as I feel line size means nothing, but having a tough line to get the fish up amd moving is more important.

Your right, 30 lb is plenty strong. However 50lb or even 65lb digs into your spool way less on hooksets I use green power pro 50lb. and still love it after many years.

i use 30# power pro and have broken tree limbs pulling my lure out. i have never had a problem in heavy cover and i fish northern indiana where you cant find a lake without heavy cover. i also like to use kvd line conditioner! it definitely makes life easier!

I fish mainly clear water and find the 30lb Moss green Power pro with 8lb test diameter perfect for almost all situations for worms, creatures, and jigs. However when fishing thick milfoil and hydrilla in this same clear water I move up to 50lb Power Pro with 12 lb test diameter. When fishing floating frogs in the worst of cover or in open water I use 65 lb power pro as I feel line size means nothing, but having a tough line to get the fish up amd moving is more important.

ditto