Sign in to follow this  
bilgerat

Braid and cranks

Can you run cranks with braid ?

I know braid floats, which in my case might not be such a bad thing because of the shallow water I fish alot. For example, if I'm running a DT4, would the braid keep it closer to say, 3' ? Any effect on the action ?  

Leader or no leader ?

You can fish braid w/ cranks.  Actually, your crank will dive deeper with braid because of the smaller diam. of the line.  For example 10lb Power Pro has the same diam. of 2lb mono so the crank will dive deeper than what it would if you were using 10lb mono.  Or you could up the lb strength in braid to 40lb which has the same diam. of 10lb mono so you wouldn't have to worry about breaking the crank off.  However I would stick with the 10 to 20lb braid for easier casting.  Also, I wouldn't reccomend braid if your fishing the cranks around rocks.  Braid will go through weeds and saw through trees but rocks can have razor edges that act like scissors and cut the line.  The remedy for this would to be to tie on a 2 foot leader of mono or florocarbon.  Other than that situation, you can tie it straight to the braid.  Hope this helps a bit.

Forgot to mention, that there should be no difference in action of the bait if you use braid.  Also incase your wondering why braid with a small diam. will dive a crank deeper even though it floats its because of the simple equation: less diam. = less resistance in water, less reistance in water = easier to dive and the deeper an object will dive.

Just thought I should add that.  Happy fishing.

Stick with mono unless you have a really soft cranking rod (even then I wouldn't use it).

to answer your ? Holmes, braid is pretty much indestructabile with the exeption when used around rock.  Also, you don't have to retie as often as mono, and braid is actually cheaper to use in the long run, because it doesn't get "chewed up" and can last for years or until you retie or swap baits on the rod to the point where you can't make long enough cast with the amount of line.  Plus braid can make the bait dive deeper, ex. a Storm Wiggle Wart runs about 5-7ft deep w/ 10lb mono wheras the same bait can hit the 8-10ft range w/ 10lb braid.  Hope that answers your ?.

to answer your ? Holmes, braid is pretty much indestructabile with the exeption when used around rock. Also, you don't have to retie as often as mono, and braid is actually cheaper to use in the long run, because it doesn't get "chewed up" and can last for years or until you retie or swap baits on the rod to the point where you can't make long enough cast with the amount of line. Plus braid can make the bait dive deeper, ex. a Storm Wiggle Wart runs about 5-7ft deep w/ 10lb mono wheras the same bait can hit the 8-10ft range w/ 10lb braid. Hope that answers your ?.

I wasn't asking you...

Why would you want to do such a thing?

Just asking. I just started fishing braid and so far I like it a lot. It's

no big deal to spool up my spare spool with mono for when the situation calls for it. I'm learnin' here, so explain why I shouldn't use braid on cranks.

to answer your ? Holmes, braid is pretty much indestructabile with the exeption when used around rock. Also, you don't have to retie as often as mono, and braid is actually cheaper to use in the long run, because it doesn't get "chewed up" and can last for years or until you retie or swap baits on the rod to the point where you can't make long enough cast with the amount of line. Plus braid can make the bait dive deeper, ex. a Storm Wiggle Wart runs about 5-7ft deep w/ 10lb mono wheras the same bait can hit the 8-10ft range w/ 10lb braid. Hope that answers your ?.

Just because you are fishing braid does not mean you do not need to retie often. Just ask Long Mike about not retying braid after each use. It will dry rot and break off just like mono. Failing to retie cost him a very large fish on Fork, broke in the knot.

I never said you shouldn't retie, I just said that you shouldn't have to retie as often as mono in my experiences.  With mono I would retie after every fish, but w/ braid I've only retie after 5 or 6 fish.  Sorry I should've worded it better.

Also Treble Hooks pull out of fish much, much easier than normal hooks because they are smaller than big worm hooks and EWG hooks, so you have to play your fish much easier until you see how well they are hooked, With the stretch of monofilament line you can put more pressure on the fish without pulling hooks, however, with braid, there is  no or little stretch so if you put the same ammount of pressure on the fish with braid as you would with mono, there is deffinently a higher probability of the hooks pulling out of the fishes mouth. Hope this helps!

-Jason

I started using braid on cranks a couple years back to keep toothy critters from cutting me off on the upper Potomac. On a couple of the sections that I fish, there is a decent population of muskies and they have a tendancy of hitting my smaller Bandit cranks when I'm fishing for smallies (MskSlyr can atest to this too). I've landed several muskies this way and it hasn't had any negative affect on my smallies fishing from what I have seen.

Just because you are fishing braid does not mean you do not need to retie often. Just ask Long Mike about not retying braid after each use. It will dry rot and break off just like mono. Failing to retie cost him a very large fish on Fork, broke in the knot.

I have to question this statement "braid will dry rot and break off like mono." Can you back this up with some factual information from a knowlegable web site?

I fully agree you have to retie any line due to nicks and damage to a knot can happen.  However, I have never read anything about braid being subject to dry-rot.

To tell you guys the truth, I don't know why my braid failed. All I know is that my 50# braid failed just above my 20# fluro leader. Dry rot is as good an excuse as any, but it really boils down to my laziness. I had not re-tied that line in months and it cost me a very large bass. :-[

I like using braid for cranking due its sensitivity and strength. You're able to feel your lure in and around structure and the action of your lure as well. Whether you're using mono, fluoro, or braid always check your line and retie when necessary.

Only draw back to using braid is that you need to remember that it's not as forgiving as mono. Mono has the stretch to help fight the fish while using treble hook lures.

I think braid is a fine line for cranking. Just remember not to rip its lips off when you get a strike.

If you got ultra crystal clear water, a fluoro leader might be nice to add on.  I've heard some people don't have any issues tying straight to the lure in gin clear water, but that one you might have to experiment on your body of water and find out yourself.

In the most recent bassmater, scott rook said he uses braid for cranking in pretty much every situation, even in clear water.

I like it for fishing around vegetation...makes it easier to rip out of grass

I fish for fun.  I like fishing and catching bass.  For me, Braid increases my ENJOYMENT of fishing.  Thats why I use it.  It handles better and causes less nesting for me.  I don't fish tournaments, and I don't hunt for double digit size bass.  I just like to fish.

Stick with braid if you like it.  I do and I may have lost one or two due to puling a treble hook out of the mouth, but hey if I landed every fish that bit, there would be less enjoyment of fishing.

Braid isn't going to impact your cranks unless you let it become and issue and creating a problem where there wasnt one in the first place.

Have fun and let the pro's argue about the rest!