Sign in to follow this  
rippin_lips

St. Croix Legend Tournamnet rod

I am looking into buying a St. Croix legend tournament bass spinning rod.  I am pretty set on the 7 foot model.  Does anyone had any experience with these rods?  What would be a good spinning reel to pair with this rod?  I was looking at the Quantum PT series.  Finally, what # braid would you pair with this rod.  I will be mostly fishing with soft plastics (senkos wacky rigged, tubes, grubs, etc.)  Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.  This is going to be my first quality setup so I want to make sure it will be perfect.

i have the ltbs68mxf with a shimano stradic 2500 but i use flouro or copoly. i think a 2500 size is what most people use. how much do you want to spend on a reel? im not sure what reels are best with braid but for other lines i recommend shimano symetre, daiwa tierra or shimano stradic. i have not used the more expensive reels so i cannot give opinions on those.

i have not heard many good things about quantum reels. i believe most people on here will recommend shimano, daiwa and pflueger.

you should be able to find a loomis IMX for close to $200 shipped. ive never used the IMX but i hear they are more sensitive than the Legend Tournaments maybe even more than the Elites as well. just something to think about....

I actually have the quantum pt reel paired with the finesse st croix tournament legend rod and it is my go to set up when the bite is slow.  I don't use braid with it, so I couldn't help you there.  I use 6 lb p-line halo with it.

The best thing about that rod in particular is it perfect for a variety of techniques.From the plastics you spoke of,spinnerbaits up to 1/2 oz,small to medium cranks,finesse spilt shot and drop shotting shakey heads.

I too would reccomend a Shimano Symetre of you dont want to spend a whole bunch.It is a well known fact to many people that this is about the best spinning reel for the buck.

I use all braid and you shouldn't go higher than 20 lb for a spinning reel with 15 lb being ideal. I use 10 on my 2500 size reels it casts awesome and use 15 or 20 on my 4000 size reels.Power pro is the best I have put on a spinning reel.It seems to be made for it :)

[movedhere] General Bass Fishing Forum [move by] Glenn.

Give the Daiwa Sol a look. Fantastic reel, plus you'll have one of the best lookin' rigs on the lake. :)

4/15 or 6/20 Power Pro will do the job.  

I have the Tube model which is Medium Power, Fast Action and 7' long. I use it for weightless plastics, shakyheads, flukes, and topwaters with 6 or 8lb copoly lines. I also use it with 20lb braid for fishing it in vegetation. I know most people use baitcasters and heavy line around vegetation but I have used it for small paddletails and frogs as well as shaky heads in pretty thick weeds and it has plenty of strength as long as you don't let the fish get too far into the weeds.

BTW, I have it paired with a Stradic 2500

Thanks for all of the info.  After doing some more research, I think I am going to get the 7' fast medium rod and pair it with a quantum energy PT.  

I cannot decide which size reel to get.  The E20PT has a capacity of 140 yds of 6# and the E30PT has a capacity of 160 yds of 8#.  Which of these reels would be a better match for the rod?   I will be using 15# braid.

Thanks again.

I have the 6'8 model for soft plastics, it's a great rod.

Matched with a Daiwa Tierra - Honestly it's an amazing reel, and it's fairly cheap.