Sign in to follow this  
retiredbosn

Carolina rig pole

I'm in the need of some more experienced advice.  Right now I have four poles, 2 cranking sticks, 7' MH fast tip with BPS David Fritts reels, 5:2 and 4:7, obviously CB setup.  Quantum Tournament Grade PT pole, 7' MH, with a Accurist PT reel, 6:3, this is my worming a jigging pole.  And another one that I'm looking to replace a Quantum IM6 pole 6'6" Medium with a Pinnacle reel 6:3 which has become my topwater rig.  The reel has been wore out, this was my first BC rig and has a few seasons on it.  The rod and reel are perfect for buzzbaiting, but any way I'm looking to replace the combo and thought I may need a specific set up for Carolina rigging.  Is the Quantum setup adequate for carolina rigging, or do I need a specific rod for that.  I'm wanting just to purchase one more combo, but need to replace the older set and will also need a topwater rig.  Please provide some direction as to what set up is good for carolina rigging.  If I have to buy two setups I guess I could make myself  ;D

In general, a good c-rig rod is 7' and heavy power, fast action. There are exceptions to every rule but this works best for *most* people.

Many c-rig rods can double for frogs, big worms, jigs, small swimbaits and in some cases flippin'/pitching rods. A dedicated c-rig rod is mostly a function of convenience and not wanting to retie each time I switch.

My last 2 c-rig rods were on complete opposite ends of the price scale.  My old c-rig rod was a 7' hvy, fast All Star classic, labeled as a c-rig rod.  I won it but it retails for under $50 at Academy.  It was a shockingly good rod for the money.  My current c-rig rod is built on a 7' hvy, fast St. Croix LE blank (5C70HF).  Both got it done even though the Croix is noticeably more sensitive.  

What is your rod budget?

All Star TAS 846C.  This is a tried and true C-rig rod that won't let you down.  If you've can scrounge up another $30 bucks I'd upgrade to a All Star Platinum P846C.  Same rod style, lighter, even more sensitive.  

if you can spend 139.00 get a Powell 705c. great rod, versatile. i throw anything from c-rigs,jigs,frogs, and even a 6" huddleston on mine :(

7'2" Heavy action split grip. It will changer your life. A little bit more rod to get longer cast. And a backbone to set that hook with the heavy sinker. But you could probably get a 7'4" rod and that would be better probably. I just prefer the 7'2"