Sign in to follow this  
aceman387

buy the used rod or go bps shopping

well yesterday was my birthday and i accumulated $150.00  some of it in basss pro shop gift cards and i got some thinking to do i could go to bps and look around but im pretty stocked up from xmas or i have a customer selling a slightly used st croix legend elite 7ft med spinning rod for sale for $200.00 i was going to replace my slightly used shimano crucial rod with this st croix rod but was wondering ive been reluctant to pull the trigger since ive never owned such a high end rod is there such a big difference in sensitivity from a crucial rod ? i mostly fish with worms (senko) a small grub type jigs .my customer im sure would let me take it out and try it  but the ice around here wouldnt be thawed until late march  . for all you high end rod owners is there a big sesitivity difference for the money ? what would you do?

If it is slightly/barely used, $200 is a good price for a phenomenal rod. Fast action, sc4 graphite, beautifully made, great for senkos & fat ikas. I can't say how different from a crucial it is, never fished a crucial. For two bills, I'd go for it. :)

I would ask RoadWarrior , not much if anything he does not know about St.Croix rods.

If the condition of the rod is near mint then 200 dollars is a fair price for a used Leyend Elite, I say fair because take in consideration that Reeds is clearancing their old LE stock offering phenomenal discounts on those outstanding rods, you get a NIB LE rod from Reeds at about those 200 bones.

thanks muddy  ,i emailed rw last week and he told me to go for it ,  having never spent so much on a rod before im trying to talk myself into buying it.  

Ahh, decisions, decisions, decisions. ;D

The used rod does sound enticing, but just one thing you might want to research is whether or not the warranty will be transferrable to you. I think some warranties out there are only good for the original owner.

Just a thought. I too have not spent that much on a rod, but when I do, I want to know that I will have a valid warranty. I realize my need to cover all bases can get a bit anal at times.  :)

Ahh, decisions, decisions, decisions. ;D

The used rod does sound enticing, but just one thing you might want to research is whether or not the warranty will be transferrable to you. I think some warranties out there are only good for the original owner.

That is a legitamate concern.  But if you register the rod though their website, there is no way that they can know that you are not the original purchaser.