Sign in to follow this  
mwbrown

setups for Carolina rigs

I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on a set up for carolina rigs i get the employee discount at bass pro because my father works there so im thinking about goin with one of the Rick Clunn or Johnny morris set ups. Bass pro bands are the only rod and reel brands i can get a discount on but i do love shimano so I'm torn between savin money and  gettin the set up i really want. Let me know if anyone has any good ideas. Thanks

I use a Quantum Burst reel with a gear ratio of 6.3:1 and a Field and Stream 7 Ft.  Meduim Heavy rod.  Works great for me and even though Field and Stream isn't a "top" company it is still a good rod.

You want a long rod 7' 3" or longer. Med/Hvy to Hvy acction. Some low streatch line. Some guys use braid with a fluorocarbon leader for the best hookset.

I use a 7" All Star Carolina Rig with 50 Suffix Performance braid with a flouro leader.

or

A bass Pro extreme 7"H with the same line combo. I do not like longer rods...

Falcon makes a great one called the lizard dragger.

My personal favorite rod/reel combo out of my collection for C-rigging is a St Croix Avid 7' Medium Heavy power, fast action casting rod, paired with a Daiwa Tierra reel, I used to use braid as my main line, but for some reason I went with Fluro. on this set up this year and liked it better, I usually use 15lb for the main line and 12 lb for the leader. some might think my line choice is too light, but I did not lose any fish at all on this set up last year, and I drag it in/over/around some pretty nasty places like zebra mussle infested rock piles, and deep milfoil/coontail beds and edges.

I'm using 7'3'' LTB Carolina rig StCroix,it's MH/fast,but I think is more like H.I love it for C rig. Find >7' Heavy/fast and grab it :)

40-60lb braid + 14lb mono or fluoro.

Adam