Sign in to follow this  
hawgchaser

Any decent travel rods?

Here is what I am looking for. I travel the state for my job and I am surrounded by great fishing. However, I have my company car and there just isn't room for a rod. Obviously I can't pull my bass boat with my company car so I fish the bank during this time.(its actually kind of fun) It makes me get creative!!

I am thinking about getting a travel kit that can go under the seat or in the trunk and be stowed out of the way. That way I could just keep it in the car.  I have seen them in padded cases.

Do any of you have one you would recommend?

depends on how much space you have and how much you wanna spend.

gloomis and st. croix come to mind.

that said, i generally just keep a 2 piece shimano compre wrapped in a towel in the toolbox of my pickup.

Of the two major retailers (BPS and Cabela's), Cabela's has way more selection.

It runs from kits in a plastic case, four piece rods and telescopic rods.

For a reel I'd suggest a Pflueger Trion spinning. About as bulletproof of a $40 reel you will find anywhere.

Store the rod in a length of PVC pipe and you're set.

I bought a Penn 3 pc spinning rod about 8 years ago from bps... they had several brands and models at the time.  I'd start there.

If you really want to do it right, there are some great travel blanks available that you could make or have made.

Of course most cars will easily accomodate a 2 pc rod under the back seat so you'll have a bunch of options in 2 pc.  (low, mid and higher end)

Yesterday I had about 90 seconds :) to play with the spinning travel rods at LL Bean.  They pack to 21" or 22".  I wasn't expecting much, but I found they were good enough that I would still enjoy fishing with them.  I felt their rods were a decent value.  I wasn't impressed with their reels, although they didn't have their "signature" model in the store.

BPS has an Extreme travel rod comes in 3 pieces with a travel tube, they go on sale regularly for ~$60. Great packable rod with nice actions, I alway have one in my car for those quick trips. For a higher end option GLoomis makes the Escapeline that're also 3pc rods ($300+) . St croix offers travel spinning rods in their Triumph line and in their Premier Line

I've never used either the Loomis or the st croix but I can vouch for the BPS, works great and it's decently priced!