Sign in to follow this  
20psi

Need help picking out a new baitcaster for cranks/flipping

Im getting setup for fishing northern cal, delta, berryessa, clear lake etc. I just hooked up with a local bass club that fishes these waters so I want to be prepared, Ive always been a shore fisherman. I have a spinning setup I use for weightless senkos and light jigs, my BSR852 GLX rod. I love the sensitivity, I can feel everything. I have a BPS med/hvy fast IM8 graphite baitcast rod that just feels like a pool cue. I cant feel anything on it at all. So heres my question:

I need a rod (I like Loomis, was looking at a MBR783c IMX) that I can use for mainly crankbaits. I would like it to still have some sensitivity because I hate using a pool cue, and I might use it for larger jigs and spinnerbaits too. Basically need a good all around rod. I also am going to be using this rod for frogging and pitching on the delta for bigger bass. I think med heavy would be plenty for this, I dont plan on fishing that much slop.

Also need recommendations on a reel. Have been seriously looking at the chronarch 51mg ( I fish lefty baitcasters) but not sure if it would be beefy enough for these uses. Next in line would be the new citica, but not sure about the gear ratio for cranks. Leaning towards a curado e5 but I do REALLY like that chronarch, so Im wondering which is best.

I can't comment on what Loomis rod to buy - I haven't a clue.

But the attributes of a good crankbait rod and a frogging rod are a little different, IMO.  Finding one for both is going to require compromise on both ends.

What kind of cranks will you be fishing?  What sort of frogs?  Based solely on what you have mentioned, I'd go with a Medium Heavy power, Fast action rod.  I'd choose a 7 foot rod.  

I think anything heavier power won't be good for crankbaits, and anything lighter lighter will be questionable for frogs.

imo, you need two different rods.

the cbr845 is as good an all round tip-down rod as any...cranks, spinners, jerks...it does it all well.

for the heavier jigs, spinners and frogs you mentioned, the mbr 844 is as good as any...once you get over 1/2 oz., the 3 power mbr is just a tad too light here, imo.

you can crank with the mbr844 if you crank large but, you ain't gonna like fishing jigs on the cbr845.

if you just want a rod that you can crank with, spinnerbait with and jig with at under 1/2 oz., then i would recommend the mbr "3".

a better all around rod (for under 1/2 oz, ) was never made...imo.

I definitely need the crankbait rod first. I know that Im basically looking for two different rods here, but I was really hoping for a compromise all around baitcaster. I just dont have a ton of cash to be throwing at baitcast rods and reels at the moment, so need to get something that I can do alot of things with. The senko rod was the big ticket item for feel, as its really necessary. Im willing at looking at other rod manufacturers too. Ive considered crucials and mojo's for this duty too, but really like my loomis.

I dont plan on doing alot of heavy duty work with frogs and such. I know there is alot of cattails and such at the delta, kinda marshy. Ive never fished this kind of area so honestly I dont know what I need. I have a couple small spro frogs that I use once in a while, and have been practicing flipping and pitching but honestly Im new to all this. Im used to spinning and just chucking a bait out and reeling it in lol.

Lately Ive been buying alot of lucky crafts, so will be mainly throwing those. Pointer 110 sizes etc. I looked at the sbr and cbr rods but they would be pretty specific to cranks/spinners and I dont throw them near as much as I finesse fish.

Im trying to keep my rod and reel collection small for now, so keep that in mind but I need what I need hehe.

Forgot to mention, that BPS performance graphite rod I have is mated with a daiwa megaforce reel. Since its so stiff, I guess I can just use that as the frog rod huh? Its a 7 foot med/hvy fast but feels more like a heavy. I was going to sell the reel but suppose I can just keep it around for throwing heavy stuff. If I remember right its rated up to an ounce but will have to look when I get home. I really think this rod is underrated and leans more towards a heavy. I just am not a huge fan of the reel because it doesnt seem to spool off very fast when I pitch with it, but Im a noob so might just be me.