Sign in to follow this  
J Francho

Clean Those Reels!

I've got a huge pile of customer reels to work on, but I thought I put a couple pics of what a difference a clean and lube makes.  Which reel would you rather fish with?

Before:

468392811_GMgg5-L.jpg

After:

468392023_i3uUH-L.jpg

ewww, yuck! I actually just got done cleaning the exterior of my reels, my spools, my line guides, and the cork on my rods. All those things had some grime built up on them from fishing slop this fall. I am too scared to open up my reels and look at the interior, but most of my reels are fairly new so I think they can wait for a trip to ReelMech or some reel pro for a little while.

I hadn't even realized how dirty a spool could get. I had to use a toothbrush to get that crap off.

All 30 of my BC and 7 of my spinners are already on the way! Nice work. What brand of grease and oil do you use?

Big O: Thanks.  I actually get a lot of satisfaction form this work.  love giving a customer their reel back and its better than new.

Dan: At the very least, put a drop of oil on the spool bearings.  Most reels have a bearing on the spool shaft, and under the side plate.  A drop of oil in there every month or so of heavy use will keep it running smoothly.

island: Simple Green gets the basic stuff off, but sometimes a stronger solvent is required.  Mostly its just elbow grease :D

zbass, I hope they're on their way to someone else, LOL.  I've got like 50 in the queue right now :)  Some customers have a preference, and it really depends on the reels and the bearings installed.  This particular batch of reels gets ABU grease and oil.  I generally use Daiwa or Shimano grease and yellow Rocket Fuel or TD-Z oil on my own reels, but I have one Daiwa that I've been running Hot Sauce in for just over a year.  I have a few customers specify Hot Sauce.  I just picked some Ardent grease to check out.  Looks like yellow hot sauce to me, LOL.

fizzle: Many times, that's all it is.  though I get quite a few lesser reels with roller bearing issues.  Its weird, I have customers with OLD Black Widows, Citicas, etc., and they are fine.  Others have year old entry level reels with rusted rollers.  $20/reel + parts is pretty standard, and well worth it.

J,

Thanks!!!  I've always done "light work", but after seeing your pics, I think I am going to take cleaning to that level. I've been too chicken in the past to go that far. Hope I don't screw up! ;D

And 3 reels for $20? That is a bargain and a half!  8-)

I think it was $20/reel, if I read fish's post right.

Study your schematic before hand.  In the past, I have placed the individual parts on white butcher paper, and labeled them with a part number from the exploded diagram.