Sign in to follow this  
matthewj52001

thought i would give a heads up about jawbreaker rods

i bought a rod off ebay from angelak6467

he is a rod builder and calls his rods jawbreakers

i bought a rx8 batson rod

when it arrived i took it out of rod tube it looked sweet

since we have about 12 inches of ice on all fishing spots it sat in the boat for about 2 weeks

i got bored so i put a reel on it and spooled it full of line tied my practice crank on and was going to go out in the yard and cast it a few times gave a few tugs on the line to see what the rod felt like and it broke like 4 guides down from the top

these weren't like bend the rod in half tugs

i emailed him and he said send me back the rod he would replace it

so i did mail him the rod i emailed him and told him i sent out the rod and was wondering what he thought the turn around for my new rod would be he emailed me back and said that he would send the blank to the company and they would take a week or 2 it get back to him

about the warrenty the blank carries a life time

so 3 days later he emails me and says he can get me a new rod but i have to give him $30

i told him no way am i giving u any more money i bought the rod and paid for shipping and paid for shipping back to u again the rod was defective

i checked the company's web site and they state that they charge 20 for shipping not 30 like he says

so we emailed each other back and forth try-in to come up with a solution which we couldnt he wouldnt budge on the 30 dollars and i felt i put enough money into rod to have to spend 30 more

so i told him to give me my money back i would only charge him for the rod and not shipping both times

so i filed against him with paypal would u know it they found for him

because i gave him good feedback when i first got the rod

so im out $125 for the rod and shipping and aneither 25 for shipping and i dont even have the rod he does

i know alot of u guys buy from ebay i was wondering what options i have

i paid with a credit card though paypal can i file with my credit card company or will they side with paypal

i might be wrong but sure feels like a got screwed

Buyer:

matthewj52001 Jan-21-09 16:58

"got my rod i love it would buy from again"

Reply by angelak6467 (Feb-08-09 10:11):

"SELLERS BEWARE! he broke this rod and did a chargeback and filed a paypal claim!

Check the seller's reputation

Score: 808 | 99.9% Positive

Your options?

It's not often a buyer loses in a Paypal dispute but you did. Your feedback indicates you were happy with your purchase. If you weren't going to try the rod out immediately, I wouldn't have been so quick to leave that positive feedback as the seller lists absolutely NO WARRANTY on the rod anywhere in his item description.

Return policy

The seller will not accept returns for this item.

In order to make customers happy he's even listed his phone number, something I'd never do.

Not sure what you want? You high sticked the rod and broke it. He's under no obligation to even do what he's been doing for you. If you want the rod I'd suggest you ante up the $30 and pay for it as he's under no written obligation to give you anything.

Sorry to say that and trying to resolve this through your credit card will probably get you nowhere since Paypal has already denied your claim. I seriously doubt the credit card would reverse their (paypals) decision in this case.

If you pay the $30 will he send you a new one? If so, you should just take your losses.

i didn't high stick the rod

i believe the rod to be defective

if he wasn't going to replace the rod why have me send it to him why not just say i don't do returns

as for feedback when i buy something when i receive it and its all there or intact i leave feedback

What an ugly situation. I am curious as to how someone can build a custom on an RX8 blank for $125 when the rx8 blank alone is over $100

That aside, since it's batson's warranty and he only built it, it sounds like he is going to split the return shipping- that $30 is $20 for batson and $10 for the guy shipping a newly built rod to you.  It wasn't his fault the blank was defective, if it was.  Maybe it got dinged in shipping.

i checked the company's web site and they state that they charge 20 for shipping not 30 like he says

so we emailed each other back and forth try-in to come up with a solution which we couldnt he wouldnt budge on the 30 dollars

So the bottom line is that you are holding out over $10... Dude, it's 10 bucks! chalk it up to a couple lures lost and get on with it.

i didn't high stick the rod

i believe the rod to be defective

if he wasn't going to replace the rod why have me send it to him why not just say i don't do returns

as for feedback when i buy something when i receive it and its all there or intact i leave feedback

It's a crappy situation you got put into, but at the same time, if he doesn't state anything about a warranty, and he's willing to give you a new one for $30, he's actually doing something he doesn't "Need" to do. He could have screwed you worse. It always sucks losing money though, I know how you feel.

The Batson Blank has the warranty on it. Unfortunately, the Batson blank also has NO guides or handle attached to it. That was done by the seller or someone commissioned by him. This is one of the disadvantages of buying a custom rod. While the blank usually comes from a reputable company who backs their product, the rest of the pieces on the rod have to be put their by somebody else.

Unless there was a written warranty on the rod as it came, completely assembled to you, the seller is under no obligation to replace it as you said this

i got bored so i put a reel on it and spooled it full of line tied my practice crank on and was going to go out in the yard and cast it a few times gave a few tugs on the line to see what the rod felt like and it broke like 4 guides down from the top

these weren't like bend the rod in half tugs

which can be construed as high sticking by a rod builder and normally considered abuse and not covered by a warranty.

BTW, here's the warranty from BR's own Reel Mech and his D.G. Rod Works Rods. I happen to own one.

All D.G. Rod Works rods come with a 1 year limited warranty. .... Problems with finish, wraps, guides, handles and reel seats are covered and will be replaced at no cost if the cause is other than abuse, neglect or misuse of the rod determined by D.G. Rod Works.

All problems, breaks or failures relating to the blank itself are subject to evaluation by D.G. Rod Works and the manufacturer. If the rod blank is found faulty by the manufacturer and a replacement blank is provided under warranty, D.G. Rod Works will re-construct your rod on the new blank. Components needing to be replaced will be at their normal cost.

As you can see by this rod builder, it's common for custom builders to recharge the cost of the guides and handle when replacing the rod even if the blank was under warranty. In this case, there was no expressed warranty given.  As Flech said, it's $10 bucks, pay the man and move along. :D