Sign in to follow this  
Saladmander

Comment on Mojo Bass rod

So, I ended up getting one of the new Mojo rods, 7'H casting rod I think they call the slop n' frog rod.  I love the way it looks.  The color and finish are great.  I know it uses the same blank composite as the Premier rods.  I only have one Premier rod, a 7'ml that I use for trout fishing.  But, were the Premier 7'H casting rods this heavy?  I know the split grip design tends to make a rod a little more tip heavy feeling, but I swear my BPS 7'H Extreme rod is lighter, or at least better balanced.  I know a few of you have gotten some of these rods.  Anyone get this model?  Anyone have a chance to fish it yet?  Any other thoughts?

I have owned two Premier's and they were both pretty light.

I am surprised to hear that these rods are at least as heavy as a Heavy powered Bass Pro rod.

The Premiere blanks are really light though so maybe it just needs a reel that balances it correctly.

If it is a heavier stick, it may be why they are inexpensive.  

I too am interested to see what people say. I was looking to pair a Saros with a 6'6 Mojo Senko rod as my primary spinning setup. I was pretty set on the Mojo before I read your review. I probably won't make the purchase until the Spring Classic where I will have a chance to get a feel for other rods as well. Interesting to see a review from those that have fished the rod a few times.

You want heavy? Buy the same rod action/power in the Premier line.  I just got the same Mojo rod, and it's lighter then the Premier PC70HF I used to own.........notice I say USED to own, that thing was the classic "broomstick" with guides on it. BTW the BPS Extreme Heavy rod is not even close in power to the St Croix (used to have one of those too). St Croix rods are a bit on the upper end of the power spectrum. That BPS rod was more like a MH...............at best St Croix.

Funny thing is, I handled the rod at Cabelas (or was it BPS??) when I first saw it, and paired it up with a Curado.  I know that the rod didn't feel as light as most of my other setups, but I loved the way it looked and figured for 90bucks, why not.  It wasn't until I got one home that I realized the Exteme rod actually felt lighter with the same reel on it.  Sensitivity wise, haven't had a chance to fish it, so hopefully someone's fished one and can offer some thoughts on that.

Bought the 6'8" Wacky spinning rod, paired w/ a Shimano Saros 3000 & used it yesterday.  It has very good sensitivity & did well w/ cranks & lipless cranks up to 5/8 oz.

I like the look & the issue w/ the seat screw unscrewing, I didn't have that problem.  I just torqued the seat clamp down & had no issues of it coming loose.  I guess the reel has to settle inside the seat clamps for a while & a little force to keep it there helped.

I see also using this rod for drop shotting, it has so many possibilities than wacky rigging.

The cork up front is small enough that you can move your index finger on the blank for more feel, can't do that w/ the Premier spinning rods!

I gotta say that this is a very good buy for a split grip, American made rod...till St Croix finishes building the plant to make these & I think the Triumph in Mexico.  The Mojo's made now are U.S. made, the ones later this year or next year will not be.