Sign in to follow this  
tps reports

Shimano Cruxis Vs. Shimano Citica

I'm looking to buy my first baitcaster and wanted to get started with something pretty decent.  I've found tons of reviews and info on the Citica, but not too much on the Cruxis.  Besides the obvious of what the Shimano website has, can anyone provide guidance in the differences between these two reels.  Do's and Don'ts between these...etc.  Are they SUPER different?...or pretty close.

By the way, I have larger hands so last years Citica 200-D is larger and fits my hand better than the newer Citica-E model.

Thanks for the help,

first time poster

Super different.  If you have the extra cash buy the Citica.  The Citica is just much more of a solid reel.  I have a Cruxis and haven't had any problems, but theres a lot of plastic on it.

Wouldnt waste your money on the Cruxis not thats its bad but the Citica is just way better. If you are worried about the size of the newer citica just search the boards for the older 200d model you could even find a Curado 200d for about the price you you would pay for a new Ctica and wold palm better for you

Cruxis are OK, Citicas are better but go ahead and spend the money and get a Chronarch. Tackle Warehouse has Chronarch 51s for $186 or you can always try Ebay.

If a Citica 200E is too small for his hands then a Chronarch 50mg probably would be as well.

Cruxis are OK, Citicas are better but go ahead and spend the money and get a Chronarch. Tackle Warehouse has Chronarch 51s for $186 or you can always try Ebay.

If a Citica 200E is too small for his hands then a Chronarch 50mg probably would be as well.

Yep no doubt! Look in the flea market section there is a citica 200d for sale all spooled up with suffix braid for $60 shipped Great deal great reel I had one and loved it but it was a bit to big for my small hands and now have the 100dsv and love it as much as any of my other reels, and I have some good ones (steez, 100dc, 50 mg, zillion, and stx)  

I own 3 Shimano casting reels, a Citica 201D, a Curado 101D, and a Cruixis 201. The gods honest truth................the Cruxis is pretty over priced and I don't even use it, I keep it in the house as  a backup. Shimano has got to be kidding..$90 MSRP for a reel with a plastic drag star, and plastic spool tension knob. But I have a feeling some how the Shimano "posse" will trip over them selves telling you how great this reel is. even when there are FAR better reels in the $90-$100 range......I should know, I own most all of them.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't notice a big difference between the two. I own two Cruxis and two Citica D's and love them all the same.  Now if you were to compare the Cruxis to the Citica E than big differnce.  I would spend the extra money and get a Citica E.  I plan on upgrading all my Citica D's and Cruxis to the Citica E  ;).

There is only approx. 8mm difference between the Citica D and E. I'll have to measure again to verify as I didn't record the results, but there isn't as much of a difference as some would lead you to believe.

But I have a feeling some how the Shimano "posse" will trip over them selves telling you how great this reel is.

Even though I'm not a memeber of the Shimano posse, and feel they are missng the boat on Revo's, I will admit they are pretty fair about calling a spade a spade.  I haven't heard many of them exclaim the greatness of the Cruxis or even the D series.  I'm not even saying the D's are that bad, but I will argue to the day that I die that they  are even in the same ballpark as the SX's and STX's.  They do seem to have a lot of the ground made up with the E's.

x2 on the chronarch. Just got one from TW for $168. It was so much easier to cast that I bought another for my wife. I have only been able to throw it around in the yard. I also have a Revo SX, but fro throwing the lighter stuff, nothing is as smooth as the mg51. Can't wait for the thaw here in the North.

Wow! Right on....

Thanks to everyone for the info.

Just what I was looking for!

I'll still listen if anyone else has anything to say...

Thanks again,

Ben.