Sign in to follow this  
d.hark

Small swimbait/deep crank rod??

Can I get a rod that will handle these 2 applications? Looking to throw mattlures perch, 4" BBZ, 6" huds, 6" basstrix style baits, sebiles, and cranks in the 10-20ft range up to a DD22

IMO, a rod for deep cranks has attributes different than a rod that is used for swimbaits like the Mattlures Perch and Basstrix baits.

Ideally, I think a deep crank rod will have a medium action, whereas a rod for swimbaits like the Mattlure and Basstrix would have a fast action.

Personally, I think you need two different rods. You can compromise but the rod will be better for one application than the other.

IMO, a rod for deep cranks has attributes different than a rod that is used for swimbaits like the Mattlures Perch and Basstrix baits.

Ideally, I think a deep crank rod will have a medium action, whereas a rod for swimbaits like the Mattlure and Basstrix would have a fast action.

Personally, I think you need two different rods. You can compromise but the rod will be better for one application than the other.

X2

I wouldn't put the 4" BBZ-1 in the same class of swimbaits as the 6" hud.  I fish the 4" BBZ on a jerkbait rod most of the time.  Obviously if you had the luxury to buy a rod for each aplication, you wouldn't be asking for advise on a rod that could handle swimbaits and cranks.  I would suggest you get a 7-7.5' composite cranking rod.  The 7.5' BPS cranking stick will do great.

I wouldn't put the 4" BBZ-1 in the same class of swimbaits as the 6" hud. I fish the 4" BBZ on a jerkbait rod most of the time. Obviously if you had the luxury to buy a rod for each aplication, you wouldn't be asking for advise on a rod that could handle swimbaits and cranks. I would suggest you get a 7-7.5' composite cranking rod. The 7.5' BPS cranking stick will do great.

Yeah I am leaning towards a BPS Crankin stick at least 7'6". I have a MBR 844glx I guess that can handle the smaller swimbaits alright, but I like to keep a senko or jig on that rod. I have a question about the BPS crankin sticks though? How come the actions on them are fast/extra fast. I thought you wanted a slow to moderate action on crankbait rods?

I don't fish big, soft swimbaits much at all.  But I would imagine a big hook on soft swimbait would need a rather stout action to set it properly and consistently, but it seems a lot of swimbait rods have moderate or moderate fast actions.

I'd be interested in hearing what other are using.  

I will be fishing swimbaits for the first time this year. Mostly Sebiles and soft plastic swimbaits. I will be using a Quantum Tour Edition PT Gary Klein signature series rod. I have 2 of these rods. One for deep cranking and one will be for the swimbaits. Its 7' M/H with a mod. action and parabaloic bend to it. I like it for treble hook baits which will make it perfect for deep cranks and swimbaits.

But I would imagine a big hook on soft swimbait would need a rather stout action to set it properly and consistently, but it seems a lot of swimbait rods have moderate or moderate fast actions.

You are right about setting the big hook but for that you just need a good strong backbone.  I like a rod with some more give in the tip which keeps me from pulling the bait out of the fish's mouth.  I read the best analogy for this on the Fish Trap website.  They likened a bass (saltwater in this case but it goes the same for freshwater) eating a swimbait to a puppy biting on a chew toy.  If you just jerk it hard when they first latch on, you'll pull it out of their mouth, but if you apply steadily increasing pressure, they will move up on it and clamp down harder.  Of course a bigger fish will many times just suck the whole thing down whole, but you want to catch the 2lbers as well right  :)

Definately need two rods, those applications would do better with different lines as well. You want a stiffer rod for swimbaits especially ones with just the one jig hook on top. You want the power to set to hook with a lot of line out.