Sign in to follow this  
fatmanslim247

Red Fluoro?

Ok, I just bought some cabelas invis x, but its all red.  I was curious to see if any of you guys had used it?   Whats your opinion?  I know its the same thing as the seaguar red.  I put it into a glass of water and it stuck out big time unlike my other fluoro's.  Did I just waste my money or is it pretty good?

Some say red line is a gimmick others swear by it. I've caught fish on red line, green line, clear line and bright yellow line. I think it all depends on the fishes mood that day.

It was red AND Fluoro?  Basically, the concept behind fluorocarbon is that it has the same density as water so it becomes "completely" invisible.  There would never be any reason to add a tint to it.

Agree. This just proves to me that the red line is a gimmick.

By coloring Flouro red or even green for that matter, you are adding visibility to an invisible line. That just makes no sense to me.

It was red AND Fluoro? Basically, the concept behind fluorocarbon is that it has the same density as water so it becomes "completely" invisible. There would never be any reason to add a tint to it.

Actually, it's slightly more dense than water but has roughly the same light defraction characteristics which allows it to become invisible.

Correct.  I started to mention light defraction, but thought I'd keep it more simple.  That's why I started my explanation with "Basically".  Anyway, the point is adding tint to fluoro makes no sense. >:)

Makes perfect sense......to the bait monkey.

Ern

the way I understand it is that Red only defracts after certain depths in the water column, 3' or so, so putting it in a glass of water isn't allowing the color to defract out of the line...but I don't like red line so it doesn't matter to me

I don't buy into the red is invisible underwater thing, but I do know some people who prefer brightly colored lines because above water they are more visible to the angler.

But wait. Red hooks attract more bites. So it can't be invisible. ;D

Just a quick color comment...  The color we see is a result of the particular wavelengths of light that are absorbed (or actually not absorbed) by an object.

Because red light waves are the longest (of visible light) they are the first to be blocked out by water.  In other words, as you go deeper under water, red is the first color to "disappear".  But the object that DID appear to be red will not be invisible, it would just appear to be on the grey scale.