Sign in to follow this  
coolhandlala

B and R outlaw rods?

Has anyone heard of these or tried them?  I found their website yesterday and was intrigued by it, so I called Robert the owner and spoke with him for almost 1 hr about their rods.  He claims they are every bit as sensitive and light as a GLX but are more durable.  I could tell he is very passionate about his product and he explained the special way they wrap their blanks so they can make them ultra sensitive but not sacrifice strength.  Now obviously he is going to try to sell his rods but from all his claims I am very close to ordering 1 to try.  For $129 if they are as good as he says they are, Loomis better watch out, especially since shimano bought them out and it is only a matter of time before they move production over seas.  That is one thing that I did like about his rods is they are  mode here in the USA.  Just curious if anyone has seen them at a show or fished one.  

I haven't seen many posts about B&R, but most I have seen are positive.  

I'm hoping that they will return the email questions that I sent last week.

Leon

Has anyone heard of these or tried them? I found their website yesterday and was intrigued by it, so I called Robert the owner and spoke with him for almost 1 hr about their rods. He claims they are every bit as sensitive and light as a GLX but are more durable. I could tell he is very passionate about his product and he explained the special way they wrap their blanks so they can make them ultra sensitive but not sacrifice strength. Now obviously he is going to try to sell his rods but from all his claims I am very close to ordering 1 to try. For $129 if they are as good as he says they are, Loomis better watch out, especially since shimano bought them out and it is only a matter of time before they move production over seas. That is one thing that I did like about his rods is they are mode here in the USA. Just curious if anyone has seen them at a show or fished one.

Shimano bought Loomis 12 years ago. If they haven't moved them over seas by now, I wouldn't worry about it happening anytime soon.

it was kinda a joke. ;D Every new rod company claims to be as good as Loomis or St. Croix or even better, they always try to draw comparisons to the best,  but wait and see who is around in 50 yrs.  I don't think they would move overseas either, but would it really shock anybody IF they did? not me.

I've been on the edge of buying a B&R outlaw for a while now, but I cant find out enough info on them either...They claim on thier website that they dont want to disclose where they get their rod blanks from and I really like to know what I got in my hand, so I havent made up my mind yet.

when I spoke to the owner he said they made them themselves and they are made different than any other blank out there with the newest technology, and they are 100% made in the USA.  He was so confident in the rods he said I buy them and if I didn't like them he would pay the return shippingfor me to send them back and give me a full refund.

I have 2 of them so far, a 7' MH casting rod along with a 7' spinning rod. They are a very nice rod for their price range and are a terrific value. They are in my opinion comparable to many rods selling for app $200 but not quite on the level of a GLX or IMX. I picked up my first one at a sports fishing show 2 years ago and the owner who is a very nice guy was having people pushing on the rod to demonstrate how tough they are. He certainly got the attention of the attendees at the show, I saw many walking out with one of his rods. Last year I added the spinning rod and have been pleased with the performance of these rods.

Primus, thanks for that feedback.  How fair are the lure ratings for the B&R rods.  I think some manufacturers are more conservative (tighter range) than others who are more generous (very optimistic about the ranges).  Thanks

I think that it's pretty close as far as the lure weights and line sizes that are described on the rods.

I have 6 of these rods and like them a lot. I know Robert personally and the rod blanks and rods are made in Arkansas. the line rating and lure rating are exactly what they say. I have a 7 heavy, 7'6'' med heavy, 7 glassrod, 6,6'' glassrod, 7 medheavy, and a 7'6'' heavy. The glassrod are some of the best on the market for throwing crankbaits. I was a buyer at a tackle store where we sold 100 plus of these rods a year they are big in the Midwest.

I think I might have to try one of these out...I'll soon be in the market for a new master for Mr. Frog...

I hope the 7ft heavy can handle 50lb Power Pro 8-)

my fishing partner of 15 years said he bought six last year and they are hands down the best rod for the money.  he even tried pawning off his daiwa light and toughs on me because he prefers the b and r rods.  he did compare them to loomises and said i have to check them out.  he also raved about the owner whom he met while working an expo and the warrantee 50 bucks for a replacement no questions asked for life.  i really trust his opinion -- he fishes with loomis rougues kistlers and daiwas and swears by these new rods.  i am excited to check em out for myself.

they are made different than any other blank out there with the newest technology, and they are 100% made in the USA.

I'd be interested to hear some detail on these statements.

-what "newest" technology?

-100% made in the USA? Did you mean blanks? or rods?  made or assembled?

if all "made" here, what components are being used?

they are made different than any other blank out there with the newest technology, and they are 100% made in the USA.

I'd be interested to hear some detail on these statements.

-what "newest" technology?

-100% made in the USA? Did you mean blanks? or rods? made or assembled?

if all "made" here, what components are being used?

I can try to answerre your questions but remember my info comes form the owner and I am sure it contained a little salesman pitch in it.

1. Newest Technology- he said this about how their blanks are wrapped and formed to allow maximum strength, sensitivity and for the diameter of the blank to remain very small.  To me this is if not all, a lot of salesmans talk, which is why I am asking the questions in the original post on this thread.

2. Rods are assembled in the US, he said the only parts not "made in the USA"  are the Fuji guides and reel seats, because he doesn't think there is a US product that matches the quality of fuji.  Makes sense to me.  

Like I said I am just passing on info from him.  Sounded intriguing so I though it was worth hearing what others had to say.

Primus,

I'm a stones throw from you in Marshall.

Coolhand,

I bought 4 of them from him 2 years ago at the Lansing Boat Show.  I have GLoomis, St Croix and Airrus rods in my line up as well.  The BR rods still have a place in my arsenol along side the Loomis and St Croix.

The BR rods are nice rods and have held up well but they are definately technique specific for me.  What I mean is the action on them is slow compared to most rods.  Even the Heavy power rods are too soft for me to use for frogging or flipping heavy cover.

Given that fact I have to say their cranking rod is PERFECT for crankbaits.  I love it.  I havent found a rod that comes close to fitting my needs for crankbaiting as this one.

The 7 ft medium is also my preferred rod for wacky rigged Senkos.  It loads up perfectly for the hook set needed when wacky rigging.  Soft enough so that if I accidentally swing too hard on a bite I dont rip the bait out of their mouth and the circle hook catches the corner of the mouth just about every time.  Match a Chronarch MG50 with this rod and I think you'll find it a great combo.  My buddy has one of these and swears by it for topwater baits - walk the dog etc.

I use the Heavy 7ft6 rod for Carolina rigging but I dont Carolina rig very often.  However, it's always rigged up and is my go to when I want to Carolina rig.

Finally I have a 5ft6 pistol grip medium action.  This one is PERFECT for finesse with a Chronarch MG50 for skipping docks and overhangs.  It's great for finesse applications as well.  I've landed fish in the 4 and 5 lb class on this rod just fine.

So to recap, they are great rods for the price.  I got them for his introductory 99.00 price when he first released them so I really got a deal.  Even now though the price is definately right for these rods.  Just know that the tips are a bit softer than most rods for the same rating.

Forget about the technology behind them.  Just know they are pretty durable, atleast mine are.  I've had them for 2 years with no defects or breaks, and I beat up my equipment.  Guides are still in tact, reel seats fit very well.  I dont think you'll find a 129.00 rod that can compare to them - given the stipulations I stated.

Hope this helps,

B

Banor I'm sure you are anxiuosly waiting for the ice to away like myself. I appreciate your observations on these rods, I personally prefer a 6'6" rod for topwater sounds like I'll have to get one for that application.

Thanks for the feedback Banor, I just might have to give 1 a try.  I am looking for a walleye jigging rod and had my heart set on a Legend Elite or IMX but for 1/2 the price I might have to go with the Outlaw.

Banor, great feedback on the B&R Rods.  From your observations, I think the B&R rods may be a bit too slow for my current need.  However, you did present them in a positive light :)

Thanks. I read and re-read my post several times before posting it because I did not want it to come off in a negative light. The rods really are good rods and I think they are worth the money.

I just didnt want someone needing a broomstick buying one of these based on my advice and thinking I'm an idiot :)

Primus,

I prefer a shorter stiffer rod for my jerks/tops as well. I go with mono to offset that stiffness since most tops are treble hooks. Just my buddy who swears by that rod for tops.

And yes, this ice really needs to go. I've heard they are fishing down in Indiana right now. I dont even have my boat out of the marina!!!

LAO,

Remember I got their original rods 2 years ago.  It's possible they've improved upon them or made some faster versions.  You might still inquire about them.  Bottom line, if you can find one that fits your needs, it's a heck of a price for a good quality rod.

B

Good news Banor, ice is off now! I drove by Beadle & Goguac yesterday, I hope to get out Sunday if it all works out. My apologies to our southern friends who get to fish year round but most around here have a serious case of cabin fever , now it's time for us to take it out on the fish!