Sign in to follow this  
Jacob0434

abu garcia ambassadeur 2005 lp

I was at my local tackle shop looking for a cheap backup reel and came across this Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 2005 Lp. I'm assuming this is an older reel (Pre Revo?.) I've never used a Abu Garcia baitcasting reel, but have used their spinning reels and like them alot. I was wondering if anyone has used this particular reel and what you thought of it?

Thanks,

Jacob.

They'd make a good backup.  I owned a couple of them a few years ago.  Great casters.  The braking system is a little strange.  Sort of like the BPS ITB used on the Extremes.  You have to remove the side plate to adjust it.  Overall a decent reel that held up well for a graphite frame model.  Has a flippin switch too.

I had a few of these before the Revos came out too. I loved mine and would probably still be using them some if they were a little smaller. Once you get the brakes dialed in these reels are great casters and very smooth. I think this would make a great back-up reel at the right price.

Don't mean to steal the topic, but might help original author as well if he decides to get one...

I recently purchased two of these used off of eBay and I absolutely love their feel and smoothness. I have yet to cast them though. How do you get to the cast adjustment mechanism? I have been looking all over for some way to get to the brake system.

I was at my local tackle shop looking for a cheap backup reel and came across this Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 2005 Lp. I'm assuming this is an older reel (Pre Revo?.) I've never used a Abu Garcia baitcasting reel, but have used their spinning reels and like them alot. I was wondering if anyone has used this particular reel and what you thought of it?

Thanks,

Jacob.

It is an old, pre-Revo reel that is out of production.  As cheap as they seem, I haven't heard many bad reviews.  I saw some new for sale not to long ago in a local tackle shop.  The were packed in clam-packs.  I think they were around $60.

Thaks for all your input. I plan on picking it up this coming friday. It will be a total of $43.19, so I guess if I don't like it atleast it was cheap :( It feels like a great reel, very smooth about the same weight as my citica and curado D's (I think?.) Maybe if I like it I might have to try a revo :)

Thanks,

Jacob

Don't mean to steal the topic, but might help original author as well if he decides to get one...

I recently purchased two of these used off of eBay and I absolutely love their feel and smoothness. I have yet to cast them though. How do you get to the cast adjustment mechanism? I have been looking all over for some way to get to the brake system.

IIRC,  The palm plate rotates either clockwise or counter clockwise and comes off.  You can then access the brake mechanism which is basically a dial on the end of the spool shaft.  The dial pointer itself was a little hard to see IMO.  Once you get that reel dialed in, it casts great.  

I won one on Ebay new for $23! They are good back ups but i wouldn't use it regularly. I love my Revos too much!