Sign in to follow this  
rocketball

Bass Pro Shops Reels and Rods?

Are the Bass pro Shops line of rods and reels worth buying. I get out on the water about once a week at the most, and dont consider myself an expert by any means. However I still like a good rod and reel that wont fail me when on the water. So for someone like myself...would they be worth buying? I have always had good luck with shimano and Quantum spinning reels, but bass pro seem to have some descent deals.

thanks

I am also a weekend fisherman like yourself. I've fished the last two years with BPS bionic blades and have no regrets. I just picked up a BPS crankin stick on sale for this season, but have yet to use it. I would only buy BPS rods on sale because they are on sale so often. Bionic blades can be had for $50 during the spring and crankin sticks seem to always be on sale for $30-40. I can not speak for their reels or any of their nicer rods as I have not used them yet. I will add that I have recently purchased a shimano crucial spinning rod and there is a difference between it and my bionic blade (spinning). The crucial is almost weightless in my hands and the greater sensitivity is noticeable. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another BPS rod in the future.

I think most of the BPS reels are made by others.

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1206417279/0

Have heard a lot of good comments on here from folks on the BPS Johnny Morris BC's and spinning reels.  Of course, they can be expensive....

I have and have fished with a good number of BPS rods and reels and I Would say that from the bionic blade up is a good choice for a rod...and also the Crankin stick.  For reels I would start at the extreme and go up.  I have an extreme spinning rod, a tourney special BC rod, a bionic blade BC rod, a crankin stick, and a pro qualifier BC rod and they all are good rods.  I have also fished with an Extreme BC rod with no complaints.  As for reels I only have an old pro qualifier round reel but it was a great crankin reel before I got an Energy PT but have fished an extreme and JM sig and the both are good reels.

If you can pick up extreme rods on sale for $69, buy 2. I have a couple of them and I think their great. I'm not sure what a "power hump" is though. :)

If you can pick up extreme rods on sale for $69, buy 2. I have a couple of them and I think their great. I'm not sure what a "power hump" is though. :)

Extreme_6.JPG

Extreme rods and reels are the best bang for your bucks IMO. On the reels you can pick them up on sale for $60 and they have an aluminum one piece frame, 7 double shielded ss ball bearings, and have all the gear ratios and features you could ever need. The rods are 70million modulous? graphite blanks and have great sensitivity.

hey thanks for the input everyone...we dont have any BassPro Shops up here where I live in canada. Luckly though I will be in Virginia next weekend and planning to go to one of there shops while down there. Never been to one before so I plan on picking up some new gear.

Thanks again! :)

I'm not a big fan of the BPS reels, however, I do like the 7'-4" Split Grip Extreme Rod my wife got me for Valentine's Day. I also like my Crankin Stick. Great rods for the money.

Falcon

Hey the "power hump" thing was a joke. :)

I kinda figured that, but I couldn't post a pic of what you were thinking.  ;)

Have 2 Extremes and 1 Rick Clunn reels and several rods, from Tourney Special up to Extreme. Never a problem with any.

Extreme's on sale for $59.99- New model, not last years. I will probably have 3 very shortly.