Sign in to follow this  
outlawguy540

Rod And reel Setup Questions

Hello All I am new here. Iv'e been fishing pretty hard for 5yrs but I'm stuck in my ways. 90% of the time I use plastics (worms, lizards, and crawdads) When I'm not using plastics I use buzzbaits and occasionally cranks which I seem to have no luck with. 09 is a new year and I wanna do something different currently I use a 6' med action Ugly Stick and a Abu Garcia Cardinal 100 (spinning) with a ratio of 5.1:1, 12lb Spider mono. I allready know that I want to get a larger rod I was thinking 7' mh action, and and a baitcaster, and of course I wanna switch or try out braided line. I'm only 27 years old and I'm kinda stuck in my ways or I go for what I know works for me. I think that the new rod that I had explained earlier would increase what I bring into the boat when it comes to using plastics, it seems if I had a stiffer rod I might be able to set my hook better. I allready have 30+ bags of plastics (mostly worms) so I could spend some money on different types of lures as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I need some help. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome aboard!

I fish most soft plastics on spinning tackle (7' MF) and spool

up Yo-Zuri Hybrid or Hybrid Ultra Soft #6 (.010" diameter,

11.9 lb test). I REALLY think your line selection is

important for finesse fishing.

For heavier, weighted presentations and jigs, I fish 7' HF

baitcasting equipment. I think your current gear will be

fine for treble hooks and "moving" lures, but you need to

step up and get the best you can afford to fish plastics and

jigs.

8-)

I'd use the Uglystick for cranks, spinner baits and surface. I'd get a 7' sensitive spinning rod and a new spinning reel. As Road Warrioe says line is very important. I fish very clear water so I use fluorcarbon a lot with the balance being mono.

Although I use baitcasters for every thing except drop shot, skipping and baits from 1/8 ounce and smaller I'd forgo the baitsater until next year unless the budget allowed me to upgrade my spinning gear and buy a mid to top range baitcaster.

Thanks Roadwarrior for the feedback Is Yo Zuri Hybrid braided or mono? And also was my assumption right when I said I thought I could set my hooks better when using plastics with the 7' mh?

NBR thanks for your feedback as well Im looking to spend $80-$100 on my new reel I do want a baitcaster but I might get a spinning. Are baitcasters any better? I'm also getting the new rod as well 7' I want to go with Uglystick because I have for so long and there great in my opinion, but I might also kick out $80-$100 for the rod as well. Again thanks for all the feedback. This site is pretty useful.