Sign in to follow this  
SWMIBASSER

Upgradeable reel?

I always have to tinker with everything. So I'd like to start looking for an upgradable reel.

Bearings, carbon handle, super tuned, carbon drag possibly painted? Maybe something that shares parts with other reels so that gear swaps are a possibility.

Shimano is out.

I'm thinking.......Daiwa TD Pro from BPS, Daiwa Black Widow, Abu Revo SX, Pflueger Summit....

Happy to take recommendations

Revo main and pinion gears can be put onto a Pflueger Patriarch.  I've done it.  You'll have weight gain as the Revo's use a heavier brass main gear vs. the duraluminum for the Floogers. I've never seen a Winch apart but I'm assuming it's the same as the other Revo's so Winch gears could be transfered to an S,SX, STX reel as well as a Pflueger Patriarch (and probably a Summit).

The most interesting possibility is the new Pflueger President.  Definitely built on a Revo like frame,  I sure the Revo gears could be interchanged as well as other parts like handles.  The Presidents don't use the Pflueger style of spin on handle like the summit or patriarch and thus, interchange with Revo handles or Revo bling handles.  

There was an earlier thread about replacing bearings with ceramic type and drag washers with con matrix type. Should still be recent and has links.

The MOST upgradeable reel is an Abu Round Ambassadeur.  Daiwa seem to have quite a few after market options.  Look at Daiwa I'ze, Bassart, Boca Bearings, etc.

Simply upgrading handles, bearings, drags, etc. isn't really "super tuning."

Most reels over $120 price point are perfect from the box.

Yeah I think I might actually supertune the 46C4 I have and use it for swimbaits. There are many more friction points in those reels so supertuning is worthwhile.

There is tons of available stuff for them....But I've sidelined all my round reels for everything else.

Take you a Daiwa Zillion and go for it... Office ZPI bearings SIC bearings, carbon handle with bearing supported knobs. and a MG Fixed rotor spool.. you have a zillion that can now cast 1/16oz baits out of site on the right rod. I have some for sale if you want. there already super tuned... and I assure you there is nothing out there that will cast with the zillions the way i have mine setup other then My tuned Pixys and I'ZE/ITO tuned TD-Z and TD-ITOS... BPS TD-PROS imho wouldnt be worth upgrading...I mean your gonna spend like 140+ for a carbon handle and knob set.. Let me know if your in the market for some super tuned reels... and also if you need advice on upgrades and so on PM me and ill help ya out... I dont have a reel thats stock lol other then one steez

Posted by: Sanother siteBASSER Posted on: Mar 12th, 2009, 12:06am Shimano is out.

What a bummer, all my shimano's get upgrades.  currently having my new citica's upgraded with curado guts.

I've upgraded my older Ambassadeurs with Carbontex drag washers, ceramic side plate bearings, dual bearing worm gears,bearing supported cog wheel,drive shaft bearing,and a carbon fiber handle with 2 bearings in each knob,so there's 10 bearings total.The new Okuma Isis reels have a carbon fiber handle with the 2 bearings in each knob,and they only cost about $28.00,and are about 100mm long.I had bought a few from Mike's Reel Repair,but the Okuma are the same,and cost 47.00 less!