Sign in to follow this  
OIFBasser

Uses for 7' ML baitcasting rod?

I bought 7' ML Graphite USA rod at a garage sale last fall for $20. It was brand new with the tags and wrapping still on it, and looked/felt like a decent rod. My question is what do I use it for? Can it be a finesse type rod where I can throw shakey heads on? I have a ML spinning rod, but I know that most baitcasting gear can't handle the light stuff.

I bought 7' ML Graphite USA rod at a garage sale last fall for $20. It was brand new with the tags and wrapping still on it, and looked/felt like a decent rod. My question is what do I use it for? Can it be a finesse type rod where I can throw shakey heads on?

Shure, finesse, cranks, small spinnerbaits.

I have a ML spinning rod, but I know that most baitcasting gear can't handle the light stuff.

Not true.

It should be a great worm rod with 10lb floro.  Ten lb floro has a smaller diameter than 10lb mono and should perform much better than going down to 8lb on a baitcaster.  I use 10lb floro for my worm fishing on a Citica.

I was thinking of putting a Shimano Cardiff 100A on it with 8lb. test. Do you think that would work?

A Cardiff may not be the most adequate reel for a ML rod, a Curado 100D or a Calcutta 50 would be a better choice with the same 8 lbs.

SHAKY HEAD AND DROP SHOT

Perfect rod for both.  Never tried a Cardiff, but there's quite a few daiwas and shimanos that cast small baits great . Alphas , SOL, Chronarch 50mg, fuego, just to name a few.

I have a fuego on mine, and cast 1/8oz baits with ease.

I bought a similar rod this winter for grub fishing.  I sent an old Green Curado to Reel Mechanic and had him do a bearing upgrade.  It mounted with 8# mono and does a good job with a 3" grub on a 1/8 oz head.  

Next time out I am going to try it on medium sized jerkbaits.

SHAKY HEAD AND DROP SHOT

Perfect rod for both. Never tried a Cardiff, but there's quite a few daiwas and shimanos that cast small baits great . Alphas , SOL, Chronarch 50mg, fuego, just to name a few.

I have a fuego on mine, and cast 1/8oz baits with ease.

I jsut mentioned the cardiff  'cause I already have one. I did put my Revo S on it with 10lb. Trilene flouro, and it worked like a champ. Thanks for the help.