Sign in to follow this  
Ben W

Light Action Rod

So I bought a Pflueger President spinning combo for the reel, and thought the 6' 6" rod would be perfect. The problem is, is the action on the rod is light. I never use crankbaits, mostly plastics, the heaviest lure I use would probably be a spinnerbait/buzzbait. I have a 6' MH lightning rod with a spinning reel on it which I could switch reels. Should I switch reels? When I go up north and might happen to hook a musky or pike the rod won't snap? I'm confused on this whole action thing:(

I know those combos but I don't know what size reel you have, my only complaint is that it's a 2 piece rod.  For the type of fishing you're doing it's just fine. I've caught 100#+ fish med heavy spin gear and the rods do not break, so I doubt that a 20lb fish will break your rod, the line will break before the rod.  Just don't tighten that drag down, they want to run, let them.

The reel is nice.......I use a medalist which is the saltwater version of the president and it's smoother than my shimano stradic fi. President is a bit on the heavy side but you'll get used to it, no big deal. Stay with it.

light action rods are good for small fish , you really need at least a med to med/hvy rod to fish for larger fish. JMHO

Ben W

Don't swap out the reels, keep the set up as is, even considering that it's not an expensive outfit it still is matched up by pflueger. If your reel on the mh lighting rod is not up to your standard and you expect limited use from it I would considered spending 29.95 and buy a pflueger trion, the 35 or 40 series. I had one for 2-3 years worked perfect and quite smooth. I gave it to my son in law and wouldn't give anything to anyone that wasn't perfect. No need to spend a ton for limited use.

yeah i'll be using 10# Fireline but I am mainly fishing for bass. Thanks for the info! When I set the hook and can kinda tell it won't be a bass, should I switch on the anti-reverse switch to let them run? I've never done that before, I would just let them fight not reeling in...but that was with bass. If I hook a walleye, pike, or musky, I'm thinking of just switching the switch on!

Leave the anti reverse on, and set the drag at 2-3# of resistance, and you'll be fine.