Sign in to follow this  
Stasher1

Summit or Patriarch?

For those of you that have used both, which would you choose for t-rigged soft plastics?

I've got a Patriarch 64WLP that I love, but I'm wanting something in 7.1:1 for my new soft plastics rod. There's about $30 difference between the two, but spec-wise, they're very similar.

I'd go with the 7.1 Patriarch.  The drag is a little more stout vs. the Summit.  I have both reels though and am very happy with both.  

Besides the drag, have you noticed any other differences in performance between the two?

I have a Patriarch 71LP that I use for 10'' worms etc... and it is great for that application.  I think the Patriarch has a more rounded and ergonomic feel to it.  Palms a bit better and a more comfortable profile....I just repeated myself but I think you get the point

I have also noticed that the brakes are better on current Patriarchs when compared to supremes...never really fished a summit but I think it might help

Have both, and it is Patriarch all the way. To me a much more "Solid" feeling reel. The summit feels like it was made to fish finesse lures and seems to really excell at small jerkbaits and shakey heads, while the Patriarch is just good all around.

I would say Patriarch solely based on the side plate design.  The push button release of the Summit cannot be as durable as the Revo inspired release on the Patriarch.  Just one more thing to think about...

there are reasons the patriarch is the top of the line pflueger reel.

Besides the drag, have you noticed any other differences in performance between the two?

Other than what's been mentioned already, not really.  The Patriarch does have a more solid feel to it and is a little better on the hands sitting on the rod.  

Darn it.  :) I was hoping you'd all say it was basically the same reel so I could save myself $30. ;D

Oh well. It looks like I'm going to have to order a new Patriarch 71WLP instead of the Summit.  

I don't agree with the tackle tour review with just a GOOD rating.  Their only complaints were the fact that it's not a lefty, which I understand, and the fact that it was too heavy, 8.4 oz for an aluminum constructed reel, which is lighter than others they rave about and little heavier than those of plastic....uh...graphite construction.  Just hold it and that idea will flee quickly