Sign in to follow this  
Blues19

New rod and reel for Cranking, but dont have much money.

I am looking for a new reel, one for crankbaits and spinnerbaits.  Only problem is that im in college and dont have much money to spend, so I was looking for a reel that is at most $120.  I have a newer citica with the 6.3:1 gear ratio and an Ardent reel a few years ago when they first came to be popular.  I have used those interchangeably with Bass Pro Extreme rods.  My arms get tired really quickly when using those to crank.  I would like something with a gear ratio in the 5s.  I have been looking at the Shimano Cardiff and Abu Garcia Round Bait cast reels.  

I have never used a round baitcast reel so I am not sure if they are good for cranking our not, but they seem to be the only reels with a 5. something gear ratio.  My Uncle, who got me into fishing and is the only person I really know who fishes does not have any Abu Garcia Reels, but alot of Shimano, which makes me more interested in the Cardiff, but I dont know for sure.  I dont want to make a mistake, $120 is way to much to make a mistake with.

I had 2 Bass Pro Baitcasting reels which broke just after a year of use, so Im staying away from them.  Their rods I really like thought and was looking at the crankin Stick.  

Are Round Reels  ok for cranking or are low profile better? Any suggestions of Reels? I appreciate any ideas and advice.  Ive already learned alot in the short time i've been a member here!

Round abus are about to be the only thing I fish. Before I got into bass fishing I was really into catfishing and owned a few 6500s and they are awsome reels. I just ordered a 5500 and have casted my uncles 4500s and they cast very nicley. Also the abu c3s sell pretty cheap, I got an almost brand new 5500c3 for 40 shipped. Alot of other people on here are more experienced and this is just my opinion.Oh and if you go with a round reel stay away from the walmart abu 5600bcx

Personally, the only round reel I have (a hand me down cardiff), I use strictly for flipping. I would definitely want a low-pro for fishing anything moving. I don't think you can go wrong with a citica..If you really want to try something else, try a Daiwa. I own an Exceler ($79), and have fished a lot with my brother's strikeforce ($49) and have been very, very pleased with each, and these are the lower end Daiwa reels.

As for the tired arms, in my experience, I would be looking for a switch with the rod maybe as well. When using spinnerbaits, I really, really like a Medium action rod with as fast of a tip as possible, but have experimented with a MH rod with a fast tip and noticed that it was much less labor intensive.  You just don't have as much resistance.

one word one letter    revo s    also i dont advocate it but when money is tight like me you gottaa do what you gotta do they are sold at wal mart everyday for 100 bucks ....best reel for the buck imo

Get on E-bay , find yourself a Quantum Cranking reel - 3:8.1 gear ratio - Yes I know they are an old reel but,  d**n are they nice for crankbaits - :)

I know you said you didn't like the BPS reels, but a lot of people on here like the extreme series. They have it in a 5. something too. As for the crankin stick; I have one and I really like it. I would only buy it though if it was on sale which they are often for $40. An extreme and crankin stick would be a pretty nice budget setup and you would have money left over to buy some new cranks. :)

I had an Extreme which somehow had a screw get loose and fall out inside of the reel.  It got into the plastic gears and chewed them up really bad.  Then I had a pro qualifier which just wouldnt even reel, it just stopped, couldnt do anything.  Those kinda ruined my Bass Pro reel experiences.  The plastic gears are really what I dont like.  I appreciate the idea thought.