Sign in to follow this  
Firefox

Help with Shimano Citica 200E match?

Now having retired I want to return to my since childhood passion of fishing. I have recently updated my spin casting EQ with one general use rod and reel and an ultra light.

I have a small lake, two rivers and numerous ponds that are close by.

I have enjoyed this and other forums and have decided on a Shimano Citica 200E for a general use bait caster. I will probably use this until I can close in on a pattern that suits me in this region of central Virginia.

I have spent hours doing research but am completely confused on choosing a rod and line (Mono, Braid, Floro?) to match the 200E. I will be using soft plastics, some top water, and jigs if I get the chance. I have been partial to Shimano but can be open minded also. Thanks

IMO I found braid to be a good all around line, strong and no memory.

If you've never used a casting reel, try a limp line like 12-14 lb. Trilene XL.

Braid isn't for the novice user.

If you plan on fishing topwaters, stay away from flouro. It sinks and will impair the action of topwater baits. For an all around line, you can't go wrong with 12# mono IMO.

Yo-Zuri Hybrid or Hybrid Ultra Soft #12 (.013" diameter,

19.5 lb test). For maximum performance, treat the line

with KVD Line & Lure Conditioner.

8-)

For line what RW suggested Yo-Zuri Hybrid. As for a rod, what price range are you looking at?

The St. Croix Mojo Bass and Premiere are both excellent rods in the $100 range as well as the Shimano Compre.

Later, :)

Like Burley said, try a limp and manageable line. Roadwarriors suggestion of Yo Zuri Ultra soft is probably the best example of those characteristics.

If you've never used a casting reel, try a limp line like 12-14 lb. Trilene XL.

Braid isn't for the novice user.

My first baitcasting set up was using braid, and I found it difficult to go to mono because it had memory. JMO

Like Burley said, try a limp and manageable line. Roadwarriors suggestion of Yo Zuri Ultra soft is probably the best example of those characteristics.

If you're backlash prone, Hybrid and UltraSoft aren't the best lines to use.  One kink and the line is compromised.

$100 is okay on the rod. Which Compre are you using with the Citica?

Which braid? And size 30lb.?

I have used a friends Citica and Curado. No backlash. Seems to be a easy cast for me but I'm sure that he had them adjusted correctly.

The Citica had 12lb. Mono and the Curado had 30lb. braid but I don't know which brand. I'll ask when I see him next.

Made a trip to BPS today and came home with a Citica 201E on a 6'6 Compre MH extra fast. Added PowerPro 30lb. over 12lb. Mono and lots of other goodies. Made a quick trip home and now it's raining. What a bummer.

I saw an article on how to adjust the two casting drags and can't remember where.

Any help? Thanks