Sign in to follow this  
LAO162

Revo S - Trade-Up or Tune-Up??

My Revo S-L has just acquired 3rd String status.  This year I'm casting far better with my new Chronarch MG and Quantum Tour Edition (2008).  It may be a confidence thing, but the Revo S just doesn't seem to be in the same league.

Would I be better off Trading Up to a different reel, or having it serviced, including polishing of friction points and replacement of stock bearings?

The Revo has seen little use and is still very clean, so I hate to see it sit and gather dust :)

The two areas I'm contemplating are 1) the actual & perceived enhancements from a tune-up, and 2) which option would be the best use of my fishing budget ;)

Thanks,

Leon

the Revo S isnt a bad 3rd string reel. i would think its a very respectable 1st or 2nd string.

keep it for a back-up. id only sell the reel if you didnt like it.

I'm in the same situation with my STXs, I have two now just laying around and 3 on rods, I decided just to keep them as back up, who knows when you'll need a back up reel.

Unless you really need the money, hold on to it. They're selling for $60-$70 new on ebay, you wouldn't get a whole lot for it anyway. Not worth it IMO.

Thanks, I agree that it is a suitable back-up.  However, at this point I find my other reels more fun.  I'm assuming that I would get better performance out of the Revo if I upgraded some bearings etc.  I guessing that would cost $50-$60.  But, to actually move to a "better" reel such as a Curado E7 would net out to be at least and additional $100.

Of course, the Baitmonkey advises me to just keep the Revo and just by a new Curado or Chronarch  ;D

Leon

leon, before you try any of that, first try turning off some of the centrifugal brakes. they're factory set at 3 on/3 off. try using it with just 2 on (opposite of each other). personally, i liked my revo S best with just 1 brake on. regardless, it will never cast better than an MG.

Stick that revo on a flippin stick...whenever some of my good reels start to lose distance on the cast, i can usually get 2 more good years out of them on my flippin sticks. Casting distance is not important when you flip.

Not to mention the revo is a powerhouse reel that excels for flippin anyway...I have one rigged up right now.

Since I fish from the bank with limited access to the water, I wouldn't have the opportunity to flip much.  However, I've begun practicing my pitching technique.  If I can get consistent at 20+ feet, I can probably use pitching to reach some attractive structure.

Due to the strong drag on the Revo S, I figure it might be a good reel for braid & pitching reel.  If I go that route then I might just tune it up & have fun.

My Revos pull my heaviest duty anymore.  I have an S on both my flippin' rod and my carolina-rig rod.  My STXs are on my frog rod, and on my heavy spinnerbait rods.  

Thanks, for now (which may last at least a week :) ) I'll be content using it as a back-up and to practice pitching.  I'm getting used to the idea of using it for heavy duty work.

I've been using two brakes on, and I'm not confident enough to go down to one.  It seems to work fine for pitching.

Thanks!