Sign in to follow this  
Micro

After fishing Zillions for awhile, I have opinion about their smoothness

They are almost too smooth.  There, I said it.

Up until this season, I mainly fished Revos.  They were plenty smooth.  But they did have some play.  You don't really notice it until you compare them to a Zillion.  When you do, you can feel the Zillion is built to tighter tolerances.  

But the advantage of the looseness in the Revo is feel.  I feel next to nothing through the Zillion.  Maybe a good fisherman doesn't need to.  But once you are used to the feel of a Revo on a sensitive rod, then replace it with a Zillion, it seems to loose something.  The overall feel just isn't there.  

I'm not knocking the Zillion, I love them.  They are casting beasts.  But there is something to be said for a little backplay in a reel.  Once you are used to it, taking it away feels like your hand's asleep.

They are almost too smooth. There, I said it.

Up until this season, I mainly fished Revos. They were plenty smooth. But they did have some play. You don't really notice it until you compare them to a Zillion. When you do, you can feel the Zillion is built to tighter tolerances.

But the advantage of the looseness in the Revo is feel. I feel next to nothing through the Zillion. Maybe a good fisherman doesn't need to. But once you are used to the feel of a Revo on a sensitive rod, then replace it with a Zillion, it seems to loose something. The overall feel just isn't there.

I'm not knocking the Zillion, I love them. They are casting beasts. But there is something to be said for a little backplay in a reel. Once you are used to it, taking it away feels like your hand's asleep.

do you get the same thing with the Sols?

Not as much with the Sol.  But another thing I've noticed...  All of them - the Sol, Fuego and Zillion - have very smooth drags and very smooth retrieves.  I've actually had line pulled out when I thought I was retrieving.  

It's all new to me.  With my Revo there are subtle differences in feel when different things happen.  With my Daiwas, it all feels the same.  

i wonder if its the weight difference. i too have been screwing around with the drag off cranking the handle thinking d**n this thing cast farther than i thought.

i had my eye on the zillion but after messing with them i think id rather add a bit and get a pixy or if my wife doesnt find out an ito.

I love my Sol.  Its not quite as smooth as the Zillion, but that reel has helped improve my accuracy with light crank baits.  Over my last couple of outings, I used it exclusively for lighter cranks, like the Bomber Fat A.  I can put them right where I want them.  It's not a long-distance caster by any means.  But if you need precision, its all there.  

Hows the Zillion with the lighter weights?  I keep hearing it is not as good as others in this area.

Later, :)

10-4 on the Sols.

everyone should own one of these.

It's not that bad.  It can cast 1/4oz cranks pretty well.  I just don't cast many light baits with them.  My Zillions are pulling heavier duty.  The Feugo also does pretty well with 1/4oz cranks.   The Sol does the best.  Like I said, the Sol cast light baits so well its easy to place them very precisely.  With the Zillion, I can cast a 1/2 oz crank bait a long way to cover a log ot water.  With the Sol, I can cast a Bomber Fat A under low hanging branches to get on the far side of a cypress tree trunk.  

Wow!.... and here I thought you'd jumped completely off the Revo boat.  This is quite a perception, you are a very astute guy.  Now I'm wondering about this being the thing I couldn't quite put my finger on with a couple spinning reels that were new to me last summer.  I guess I better pay closer attention to things.  Interesting post!