Sign in to follow this  
Hatty

So many questions so little time?

Does rod length affect casting ability?

Does it really matter; triumph, mojo, premier, avid, does the extra money really make a difference? Seriously?

Carado E or STX?

Casting a senko is dumb hard on a baitcaster; any tips or stick to my spinning setup for senko fishing? or better yet, senko's are so light and either give me backlashes or I set the little spool adjustment so high I can't get distance? Tips?

What is your recommendation for my baitcasting setup; I fish buzzbait, spinner, swimming jig, crankbait and senko... STX or Curado; Triumph, Premier, Mojo, or Avid... don't worry about the money... braid, flouro, mix, or mono?

Like I said, so many questions so little time...

Hatty

dont worry about the money? good times!

get a g loomis glx with a fast tip and a daiwa steez

from your list- avid (med or med heavy) with fast tip and curado 200e7

avid is alot more sensitive than the others and has a great warranty.

the longer the rod, the farther you can cast and the more line you move when you set the hook.

the shorter the rod, the more accurate your casts are

i like 6'6"-7'. many on this forum do not go under 7'

i like using spinning gear for plastics but a 5 inch senko is pretty heavy. the problem might be your reel or maybe just the settings...

as far as line goes, they all have strengths and weaknesses

flouro can be hard to manage (kvd line and lure conditioner can help) / very sensitive and hard for fish to detect, sinks

braid can probably be seen by the fish in clearer water (tying a flouro leader can help) / very sensitive and very strong for diameter, memory is not an issue

mono can have a bit of stretch and is not as sensitive as the two above / less memory than flouro

hybrid is a good compromise for me. im using yo-zuri ultrasoft with kvd l&l on most of my setups. im going to try the regular 6# hybrid on a 2500 spinning reel soon. hopefully i can manage it with some of that kvd spray. green is what i use and what ive seen recommend the most.

Does rod length affect casting ability?

It can and does. A longer rod can afford you the same cast with less effort IMHO and that is the beauty. However, longer rods can be hard to work with in tight quarters, areas shorter rods would be preferable.

Does it really matter; triumph, mojo, premier, avid, does the extra money really make a difference? Seriously?

It matters to some and you will note greater sensitivity on higher end rods for sure. The question for you is if you think that the difference or increase in sensitivity is worth the price for your wallet. Case in point. I have a cherrywood rod and in my hands it is sufficientyly sensitive to drop shot with. I also have a Lamiglas Certified Pro Drop Shot rod and it is in another league. Imagine that using the Cherrywood is like experiencing a DVD movie in stereo. It works, you hear everything alright. My Lamiglas is Blu Ray, baby, for the full theatre effect. Both do what they're supposed to do for me, but one definitely does it better. If you are going to plunk down cash on an expensive rod spend it where it counts. Invest such money where sensitivity is critical like your rods for jigs and soft plastics.

Carado E or STX?

Can't answer that. I don't have either.

Casting a senko is dumb hard on a baitcaster; any tips or stick to my spinning setup for senko fishing? or better yet, senko's are so light and either give me backlashes or I set the little spool adjustment so high I can't get distance? Tips?

Any casting reel worth its salt should cast a 5" senko, bottom line. They weight 3/8 oz all by themselves. The sign of backlashing is usually a suggestion that the reel is not set to the lure's weight. You're just going to have to experiement and tweek your reel's setting until you find what works.

What is your recommendation for my baitcasting setup; I fish buzzbait, spinner, swimming jig, crankbait and senko... STX or Curado; Triumph, Premier, Mojo, or Avid... don't worry about the money... braid, flouro, mix, or mono?

Oh boy. That is too subjective. Buy the best you can afford. Either reel you asked about can handle those baits and I have not fished with a st. croix yet. What you can do is get a hold of their catalog. It might even be downloadable.  Checking out their catalog will fill you in on the type of graphite each model series uses and the guides used and their price points.  Knowing this first hand will enable you to make sound and informed decisions to choose the right rod for you.

As for lines, some lines will excel where others might fall short. The search function here will lead you to a wealth of excellent information to help you with your inquiries.

Like I said, so many questions so little time...

Hatty

Good luck! Before you know it, you will start to develop your own preferences for rods, reels, and line. 8-)

avid, m or mh fast tip, and a STX!!!