Sign in to follow this  
Parcall

Reels for Flipping/Pitching

As I said the other day, I am new to bass fishing. I have been reading the forum for advice on a new reel in the $150 - $200 range for use on a Powell flipping rod that I just purchased. The most frequently mentioned reels on the forum for pitching/flipping are the Curado, the Revo STX, and the Energy PT. Is there a problem with the reels like the "Castaic" and others that are designed for this purpose? What am I missing?

Thanks for the assistance

I have used Castaics and I really like them. I don't have any now because I am always selling and trying out new stuff.

Before I bought my Castaic I posted a question on here and some people complained that they would accidently hit the instagage when they were casting (conventionally not flipping or pictching) After owning one I don't see how someone could get their hand that high on the reel, even when I was flipping and pitching I had plenty of room.

Typical Shimano quality with a reliable braking system.

I really liked it for frog fishing, with a conventional reel I will sometimes drag the frog a little bit when I turn the handle to engage the reel. With the instagage that wasn't a problem.

I hope Shimano updates it someday since it is looking pretty dated.

I'll end up with another one by the end of the summer.

The "Castaic" has a very neat flipping switch but the problem is that most people don't like. Ten to fifteen years ago tons of baitcasting reels had small flipping switches on them and today not many good reels have them. In fact, I can't think of any reels in your price range that have the old style flipping switch. I think that most people just never used it.

If you are looking for an inexpensive reel with the flipping switch the Quantum Code has it, at least the BPS KVD version does. And I think the Daiwa Rojo has a switch on it that acts like the Castaic when the switch is depressed it engages the spool. I don't think the Daiwa versionis quite as handy as the Shimano version though.

And for $150.00 you can get the Ardent flipping reel but I think by doing that you will end up with a very technique specific rig.

I have not used a Castaic but i can sure speak for the Revos! I have an SX on my Powell 766H flippin stick and i love it! The extra drag really comes in handy when flippin heavy cover.

Any of the reels you mentioned are great for flipping. The main reason for using these reels is the speed of retrieve. Once you pearce the mat and get that pig on you need to horse him up as quickly as possible. So the 7:1 gear ratio is great for that purpose. Hope you load the reel with 30Lb mono or 65LB braid, or something close in strength.