Sign in to follow this  
triwbass

Telescopic Rods durability ?

i have a team all star 907fsx got it for 69.00 and needed a flipping stick. My question or concrn is how durable are these rods at the connection ,,it looks as if it would break easily andyone had trouble with their flipping sticks like this ? funny though how it seems just as sensitive as a one piece .........thx much

My question or concern is how durable are these rods at the connection ,,it looks as if it would break easily andyone had trouble with their flipping sticks like this ?
The ferrule can crack and get lose over time but it will take some heavy (fish) lifting or high sticking to get to that point.

On my old T flipping stick builds, I would recommend checking the ferrule fit and finish each time out with the rod.

Ferrule = An item or sections which allows the rod blank to be joined together. Can be either separate or integral to the rod blank sections.

Go fishin catch a bigun......

Tight Lines!!!!  

I used to only buy +T flipping rods.  Every one I have ever bought broke at the same place...  not at the ferrule, but where the ferrule rubs around the blank, when the rod is collapsed.  You will have a ring (of wear) develop around that spot and that's where they break.

The rods I built stayed together but I wrapped & finished a "wear pad" in that spot.  I haven't had any trouble with the ferrules themselves.

both excellent answers that have well made my decison to maybe get rid ofthis rod before it breaks or wears into and just get a 7 ft or so 1 piece that can do same thing ,,,,,

If I were going to build or buy a new dedicated flippin rod it would be in the 7'6"  to 7' 10" length with a med heavy to heavy power and mod fast tip action (for the braid)...

Tight Lines All!!!  

I've got 2 Fenwick Techna AV 7'6" telescoping rods that I use about 75% of the time I'm out fishing. Bought them 4-5 years ago and I absolutly love 'em. Never had any problem with them wearing where the ferrull rubs the blank but I do like flechero's suggestion of making a wear pad and will do that next time I mix up some epoxy. Thanks for the idea!!

I have used Allstar telescoping rods since back in the 80's and gave them to my son and neither of us ever broke a single one.  Fenwick flipping sticks the same thing, just gave away one I know for a fact is 25+ years old and is still going strong.  I currently have 5 T Legend rods from St. Croix and use them for flipping, pitching, and frog fishing and not a single problem with any since purchasing them several years ago.

For what it's worth, my experience with +T's were where they had to be collapsed to and from each trip. (small car in the early days and then a short locker)  I bet I got relatively close to a thousand "days/trips" out of them...  so no bitterness and had I protected that spot, I'd probably still have some of them.

I wouldn't be afraid of one, but I just prefer one piece...  and don't have those transportation issues anymore.

I had a telescoping Fenwick flippin stick and i learned my lesson. It eventually wore thin where it retracted from so much in and out. It then cracked it wore down so much! I NEVER bought a telescoping rod again!

what if i kept some sort of pad between rod blank and ferrule when not in use ,,it sounds like the rubbing or wearing occured when sliding up and down and not when extended (i know good chance for bad jokes please refrain ) i may just do that when i put it down ill make sure theirs a cloth to keep from rubbing ? maybe something here to be marketed like a telescopic rod pad ?

Either way, it will not happen right away! Mine took a log time to do it. Besides, for $69.00 you just can't beat it man! Just enjoy it!  ;D