Sign in to follow this  
michaelkim_9582

BPS Johnny Morris spinning reel

just got one in 2000. its pretty big for a 2000. but Im lovin it so far, going fishin today for some trout, cuz a local pond just got stocked yesterday with 3000 trout. good way to try out the new reel.

I have two, but, there is one annoying thing about them.

It wasn't until I started jigging this spring that I realized it.  They do not have the instant, or constant anti reverse found on most quality spinning reels.  

My Shimano Saros reels' spools/pickup will not reverse at all, whether I try with the handle or the pickup bail itself.

The Johnny Morris reals will spin backward as much as an eighth of an inch, which becomes annoying when twitching a jig.  Click, click, click, against the stop when twitching.

Other than that, the drag system is fine, and the reel is smooth.  I imagine using a topwater with a walking the dog technique would produce the same clicking when the pickup rotated against the anti reverse mechanism.

Their nice reels, even nicer on sale.  But for the price I would look at Shimano, Daiwa, Pflueger, Garcia etc...

Much better reels in my opinion.

Later, ;)

i didn't know that, im gonna go check that out. what size do you fish with?

It's only noticable when jigging or twitching on the retrieve, when there the line slack tight, slack tight.  

I have the 3500 size.  Some may disagree, but I prefer the larger spool for fluoro or hybrid, since those lines are known for their memory.  The smaller spools inherently produce tighter coils.

With braided line, I prefer the smaller spools.  One reason being they are more compact, and not as clunky in the confines of my canoe.  They are lighter as well.

I've got 'em, so I'll live with them.  But should the time come when it's necessary to replace them it will be with a reel that has instant anti-reverse.

The clicking is like a rattle in a car.  It may be harmless, but it's also annoying.

There is play/slop in the reel when you move the handle back and forth a bit on the BPS reel.  There is none in the Shimano.

mine only goes back maybe one fourth of an inch, but I noticed what you meant about the clicking. very annoying. For a 100 dollars your much better off with a symetre or a supreme, but for 80 dollars, its a nice looking reel, im pretty impressed with the quality of the reel.

[quote author=477C7E4C5F7A74747A7D130 link=1240610982/4#4 date=1240728000

It's only noticable when jigging or twitching on the retrieve, when there the line slack tight, slack tight.

I have the 3500 size. Some may disagree, but I prefer the larger spool for fluoro or hybrid, since those lines are known for their memory. The smaller spools inherently produce tighter coils.

There is play/slop in the reel when you move the handle back and forth a bit on the BPS reel. There is none in the Shimano.