Sign in to follow this  
wasabi_VA

Daiwa Megaforce Dynaflo guides - sucketh?

I have a 6' Daiwa Megaforce spinning rod. It came with these thin stainless steel guides that I don't think I like, altough I otherwise like the action and handling. I am definately going to replace the tip as it seems to increase tangling due to the design, especially when dockshooting for crappie. How much effort is it to replace the other guides? I have never done more than a tip repair.

First you have to remove the old guides..

Then you have to clean/prep the old guide areas..

Next you need your set of guides..

Then you need to prep (grind to a gradual taper) the foot of each guide to prepare it to received the wrapping thread..

Then you tack/tape the guides in the proper order/position to the rod blank.

Now you wrap each guide with the proper wrapping thread (Gudebrod Nylon & NCP® Rod Building Threads)

Next you will need to make a choice as to whether or not you want to preserve the color of your threads. If you chose to then you will need to coat your threads with a "Color Preserver" or CP. This will be applied to the thread and allowed to dry for about 24hrs. Then the threads are ready for the finish epoxy. If you decide to not use a CP then you will just apply the finish epoxy and let the threads go translucent.

The final step is the finish, it is applied according to the manufacturers directions and allowed to cure. But either way the rod will not be flexed for about 24 hrs to let the finish fully cure...

Hope this helps....

Just a rod builders .02¢

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!  

Hmmmm, sounds like more than I have the interest to pursue. But I do want to change out the tip which I can handle at a basic level. I just used a digital micrometer and it says my actual rod tip diameter (with tip removed) is 1.6mm. Is there an aftermarket Fuji tip I can get (maybe eBay) to glue back on?

Then, once I glue it on, how do I finish it so my fishing line does not catch on the barrel of the new tip? My previous tip, and all my other rods, have a nice smooth transition here that I wil not be able to replicate so perfectly. I do not have any rod repair materials other than tip repair glue.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice!

replace the tip as it seems to increase tangling due to the design,.

Changing the the tip can be done very easy, or take it to tackle store and they may even do it while you wait for a couple of bucks.

I have used this kit before, comes with every thing you need and instruction.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16514_100004002_100000000_100004000_100-4-2

Changing all the guides it will cost you several times what you've paid for the rod.

I have that exact kit. The smallest rod tip it comes with was still too big for my rod blank so I had to use a micrometer to find out my blank size at the tip and order one off eBay.

Once it arrives I know I can glue it on, I just do not know how to get a good epoxy bead so the joint between the new tip and rod is smooth. I'm sure I'll make a mess of it.

I just do not know how to get a good epoxy bead so the joint between the new tip and rod is smooth. I'm sure I'll make a mess of it.
Take and find some nylon black thread, ("A" size rod thread would be best, but) wrap it tightly at the base of the tube of the new tip once mounted. Wrap enough thread to extend out from the base to 1/2"..

Smooth the thread out and coat with a clear finger nail polish (if you can't get your hands on some rod finish). Keep the rod turning until the coating doesn't sag/cured..

That is a field fix... ;)

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!