Sign in to follow this  
InLikeFinz

Question about Rods

Just a quick question to you rod Guru's out there.

What kind of fishing would you do with a MH rod with a fast or extra fast action? I'm in the market for a new one and need a good, general purpose rod for throwing jigs, 3/8oz. + spinnerbaits, maybe even a carolina rig or swimbait. Would this fit the bill?

Thanks,

Jason

What kind of fishing would you do with a MH rod with a fast or extra fast action?

jigs : Yes! up to highest lure rating

spinnerbaits: Yes, depending on length of the rod

carolina: Yes, up to highest lure rating

swimbait: Nope

Tight Lines!!!!

Thanks for the good info guys. I'm looking at the Shimano Compre or possibly something from  the St. Croix line. I can't really spend over $120.00 or so on the rod. I've got a medium compre spinning and trigger rod, both with fast actions and like those a lot. I just need one more trigger rod for now with some backbone to it. The Mediums tend to load way too much when using deep diving crankbaits or heavier spinnerbaits. I'd like to try and throw some heavier jigs/carolina rigs as well.

One more question if someone has time to answer. As far as using a moderate action rod, is that a personal preference when throwing crankbaits? I've heard that it gives a bit more to allow the fish to inhale the lure. Can you still have just as much success with a fast or extra fast action when using crankbaits?

Thanks again,

Jason

One more question if someone has time to answer. As far as using a moderate action rod, is that a personal preference when throwing crankbaits? I've heard that it gives a bit more to allow the fish to inhale the lure. Can you still have just as much success with a fast or extra fast action when using crankbaits?

You would be better off with a moderate action. The slower action helps prevent the treble hooks from tearing out of the fishes mouth. I have noticed a difference in the hooked to landed ratio of crankbait bass when using a moderate action rod versus a fast action rod.

That makes sense. Looks like I'm going to have to eventually bite the bullet and get two more rods.......and a sponsor or two, haha!

Jason

;D