Sign in to follow this  
morts10

UL rod for Quantum tour PTi-A

Well I got my new reel yesterday and it is sweet! Now I need a rod to go with it. Need suggestions for ultra light rod, preferably 6 foot. This will be general use in river mostly. Budget of around 100 dollars. The reel is the 10 size.

Put reel on 4'6" UL ugly stick yesterday because I could not wait and took it to the river on the way home. Spooled up with some 8lb fireline (all I had with me). Man is that reel slick and good looking!! Added about 20' to my casts and drag is real smooth. Caught several SMB on a several different lures (fluke, spinner,huskyjerk) and boy was it fun. Will probably fill other spool will with 4lb trilene xl for clearer waters.

Will be couple of months until budget allows for rod but want to have idea of which one when time comes.

Know you people have way more experience than me.

Thanks for your help with picking out reel.

morts10

First, get rid of the 8# line. Too heavy for UL. Now about the rod. I have the 6' version of this, have fished it heavily for two years now without a problem. Decent rod for the price. I get good casting distance, although I think 6' 6" would have been a better choice.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74068_100002002_100000000_100002000_100-2-2?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail

Yup #6 max on that reel.... :D

For a rod, I have built on the St Croix® Premier 6'6" UL blank and it is a sweet blank for Ultra Lite, with that said I would recommend..

PS66ULF - 6'6", ULF, Line: 2 - 6, Lure: 1/32 - 3/16, Rod Weight 2.7oz, MSRP $90

Tight Lines!!!!!  

Thanks for the input guys. Line was all I had in the car that day. Will probably fill with 6lb trilene xl (unless you have better suggestion) when I get rod. This was what I used on previous reel.

Thanks again.

mort

Thanks for the input guys. Line was all I had in the car that day. Will probably fill with 6lb trilene xl (unless you have better suggestion) when I get rod. This was what I used on previous reel.

Thanks again.

mort

The Trilene is fine. Consider 4# test, as you will gain a little casting distance compared to 6#. Don't be scared of it, you can haul in bigguns with 4#, that's what drag is for :D

all i use is trilene xl 6lb in green on my UL reel.

no complaints here./

Hard to beat a fluorocarbon line for ultra lite I have used the Bass Pro XPS version and the Vicious Fluorocarbon also.