Sign in to follow this  
Waterbeater

Abu Garcia Reels

I have some old Abu reels that my brother in law gave me and I was wondering how easy it is to get parts and what parts can be interchanged? I mean like gears and such. He passed away and these are some of the older round reels. I kinda likem and would like to make sure they are all in great working condition. Thankd

Maybe and Maybe...

First you need the schematic for each reel that matches the number on the bottom of the reel foot. Then depending on their actual conditions. Once you have the part numbers, then contact Pure Fishing and try to order whatever parts you need that are still available for the reels. If the reels are as old as you make them to be I doubt you will find all the parts for exchanges or conversions...

Probably the best you will get is they get serviced, and brought up to working condition...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

How old is old?

Even if parts aren't available, there is a pretty strong market among collectors on ebay that will give you a pretty decent price for them if the reels are in good physical shape.  

I shouldn't say old old but they are not the newer models. I have 4 of the original one with the round pearl or white plastic handles. That is whay I consider old

I've upgraded all my older Ambassadeurs with new parts like dual bearing worm gears,bearing supported cog wheels,drive shaft bearings,and ceramic bearings.Most Ambassadeur parts are inter-changeable,so you can put a C5 Mag worm gear on that old 5000.Finding gear upgrades(3.8:1 to 4.7:1)are a little tuff,but not impossible.I currently have 4 Ambassadeurs with a total of 10 bearings,and these are all from the 70's &80's.If you need help,PM me,and I'll be glad to help you out.By the way,this is an older 4500CA with 10 bearings,and older Ambassadeurs can have this same upgrade.

post-12924-130162926416_thumb.jpg