Sign in to follow this  
midnighthrasher

Double Palomar???

Dude, the double palomar is much stronger than a regular palomar...IMO I think it's the strongest knot. You know how to tie a paolmar? The double palomar you loop it twice on the hook eye or snap. On the tag end, I put a knot about an 1/8" from the knot so in case it does slip (which I've notice it hasn't done) it catches on the knot.

It's easier to do the double palomar w/ braided line but I've been able to do it w/ mono but using a snap(not a snap swivel). The snap eye is wider than a hook eye so you can actually do a double loop...it's a bit tricky at first but once you do it a few times it's easy...& very strong! I've pulled broken branches from sunken trees w/ the double palomar.

Here's a video I found on the double palomar knot...the guy does a triple palomar....I don't recommend cuz it is just too hard to tighten on the hook eye or snap, just use 2 loops it'll be strong enough.

Double Palomar?  Seriously?  I've used the Palomar for 20 years, and in the event my line snaps (which is rarely), it generally isn't the knots fault.  To be honest, it's just a bonus that the palomar is generally regarded as the strongest knot out of the 'standard' knots....the overlooked benefit that seems just as important to me is the fact the palomar is the easiest and fastest knot to tie.  I think I can literally tie one in 2 seconds.  I think I retie more due to the Palomar's ease of tying.

I prefer the Fish N Fool knot to the Palomar, though I frequently use the Palomar.

Once I got the knack of tying it, the Palomar has (k)not failed.  

Why the Fish N Fool?  Because it goes through the slimy gunk (moss/filamentous algae) much more cleanly.

I can fish places where I avoided because the filamentous algae was so thick.  

I fish a keel weighted hook (Owner Twistlock) with plastic worms or creatures rigged weedless, and toss it into the densest of mats.  It sheds the stuff like magic, no matter how slowly or quickly I retrieve it.

Coontail, lily pads, grasses, water hyacinth, all can be fished cleanly.  

The only time the bait comes back with weeds is if the point has become exposed.  Other than that, it is as easy as fishing clear water.