Sign in to follow this  
deermaster

change of plans....need a spinning rig

well, its great to be a poor college student :) gotta pack away a bit more money than i thought, so i cant afford a specific bait casting rig like i was planning on. i need to stick with a all purpose spinning rig, something that is affordable, adaptable, and tough. im looking for a reel that will last atleast 2 year round fishing seasons. my old cheap diawa is starting to grind, i think i paid like 30$ for the combo 3 years ago, so its lasted ok. i want a reel that can toss small to mid size poppers, jerk baits, and texas rig tubes. so ive got a couple questions, and would appreciate (more) great advice.

1) its the obvious, what 50-70 (cant afford anymore than 70, thats really pushing it) can handle steady fishing for 2 years? im looking at the phluger president (not the xt, the regular model). it says its got 10 bearings, so it should be smooth. think it will handle what i need?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_51666_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2

2) dont need a rod yet, ill use what i have till i figure out exactly what i want, then spend the money.

3) line. i am a noob with anything other than mono. for pitching texas rigged tubes, and hard jerkbaits and poppers, what line should i go with, and what lb test do you recommend? fireline? braid? does fireline require a mono backing?

thanks, really appeciate any help, as always.

I don't own a President, but I have a Pflueger Trion (towards the bottom of the Pflueger scale) and a Pflueger Supreme (top of the line)

Both are great reels, you'll have no problem with the President.

Line: I like Yo Zuri Ultra Soft 6 or 8lb.  (If you have a deeper spool, I sometimes add 20lb backing) I had some issues in the past with Pline Floroclear, but it has been growing on me this year. These are both copolymer lines.

Rod: I understand it is a future purchase, but I really like the Shimano Compre line for an introductory rod. Great warranty too. Make sure you get a good rod. A good rod will help you catch more fish than a good reel.

Good luck in your purchases. Btw, I am also a poor college student; I just have a wife that works full-time. :)

Pflueger President 6735 is way to go

I have a 6'9" Team All Star IM 10 Med    II in great condition.  I am getting a Fish Eagle II.

Since you are in college PM me its yours for 45 plus shipping, they sell for 80