Sign in to follow this  
JellyMan

Mono To Braid And Back To Mono Grrrrr

Well I have used the Trilene XL 10lb for around 6 years and always loved it. Until I tried 20lb Power Pro braid.

I loved the braid cuz it casted awesome, sensitive, and strong. But I seem to have problems setting hooks! It's like I cant feel it right. I get used to all the pulls and nicks on sticks and such and when I do have a fish on it's too late. Then I fished a topwater and got slammed on 4 times in 10 min and didnt get oe single hook set. It was like the fish would not "hook it's self" like it used to. There is no give in braid and that has become a problem for me. I need to feel that fish on then WHAM!! set the hook.

I went back to my 10lb mono.

Anyone else experience this at all or am I rediculous?

with topwater you have to wait until you feel their weight.any other bait should not be a problem as you can feel when their mouth shuts.

Jellyman,

Lots of us here that don't like braid...  there's no shame in it.  Some of us do quite well with mono or copoly.   :)  

The only topwater baits I fish with braid are frogs, toads, and other slop lures. For all other topwater baits, it's mono or coply for me. These lines are much more forgiving.

Jellyman,

Lots of us here that don't like braid... there's no shame in it. Some of us do quite well with mono or copoly. :)

Braid is the bane of my existence.

i made the switch to braid a short while ago myself (suffix)...

it took some time to get used to, ie. the no give part.....

its my only choice now.....but i still cant bash the mono....it never did me wrong in the past.

(ps.......we still need to plan the secret spot swap trips :))

I used to fish mono then switched to power-pro braid.  The braid is great until you get knots in the line, spool dig and such.  Went back to mono and then realized i liked the stretchy feel, easy knot untangles and most of all the PRICE.  You can't beat good old clear mono yard for yard.

I am not sure what power rod your using but that may be part of the problem with the topwaters and braid. I use braid with bigger topwaters for a good solid hookset when the bait is way out there.I use a med crankbait rod. You may want to  use more of a med/med lite rod that has some more give and wait till you feel this fish. The problem with braid and topwaters is there is give and rips hooks out if the rod is too stiff. IMO