Sign in to follow this  
OIFBasser

Custom Painting A Reel?

Ihave been thinking of having a reel custom painted. A good friend of mine paints custom cars and just about everything else. Before I hand him a reel what should we know? Or are there any people who do this on the site? Any ideas would be great.

Well I would think that the paint would crack when pending...

Maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe a "crackle" type job? That way if it does crack, it will look good all around.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Maybe a "crackle" type job? That way if it does crack, it will look good all around.

Pending?  :-?

From my experience painting reel seats, your best bet is going to be auto paint with a good auto clear coat over it.

I had a guy who painted reels show me how to do it and I applied what I learned to reel seats.

I use an adhesion promoter, three light coats of paint, then three light coats of top clear coat. Seems to be durable.

just like a car though, and the factory finish on lots of reels, if it gets rubbed enough in the same spot, it's going to come off.

These below - all have the auto clear coat. The green and blue are creatix airbrush paints, the black metalflake is auto paint.

You can really do some cool stuff if you experiment.

post-21594-130162926481_thumb.jpg

I probably would never do it because all it would do is add weight.  Besides all reels look pretty d**n hot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm wrong?

Pending? :-?

Bending... my mistake.

I have never thought about custom painted reels. Thats a pretty cool idea. I may have to snake that idea from you. :)

I have been thinking about doing that quite a bit. Like a "satin" soft touch finish. :)

I guess I would have to take the whole reel apart and only paint the frame, and handle. I don't know if you have to remove the old finish first, or just scuff it like painting a car?

I would rough up the surface to be painted with a grey scotchbrite pad. Yes, you're going to have to take it apart. You could tape off anything you don't want painted, but it's probably easier to take it apart.

You got me wanting to try doing one this weekend!

Dock - painting those reel seats added 3 grams. So yes it does add weight.

Are you trying to be a smartass or not?  I can't tell either way.

Dock - Just how it was said.

Weight is added. Some people would view 3 grams as bad because it is adding weight. Some see 3 grams as irrelevant because it is a very small amount.

I think I'm going to buy some cheapies on ebay to test out before I try on a revo, but I'm thinking just starting out with a single color and work from there.