Sign in to follow this  
wifey

Help with buying rod/reel for my husband

Hi,

I'm taking my husband fishing for father's day (a suprise), and I'm trying to decide which kind of rod/reel to buy. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods, and told the guy we're going trout fishing (there's mostly trout in the river where I'm taking him.

He recommended (I think) a light-weight pole that was $29 (this is about what I want to spend). There was also a Shimano bass rod/reel at Costco, with some lures and a small tackle box at Costco for $30.

Will the bass rod work for trout and other fish, too? Or should I get the rod recommended by the Dick's guy?

Thank you.

you could use any pole for any type of fishing, it just may not be ideal.  It depends what you're doing to be doing with it.  A trout pole is usually smaller, and very light so you can feel the fish.  A bass setup, or other setups may be a little bigger and heavier.  If you think when you go out you'll primarily be trout fishing, get the pole he said.  If not, just get one that fits the budget.

Great -- thank you!

Will the trout pole also work for bass, then? Or will it be too light (and is that a problem)? After Father's Day, we'll probably go out fishing for bass and other fish.

Get a ultralight rod and reels with 6lb line and use it for both. One of my biggest bass ever came off of a UL with 4lb line and a beetlespin. It was 6lbs.

i too would go with the dicks employee's choice. You can use that rod for bass fishing. When i am goin out i usually take one reg rod and a light rod. The light rods can be alot of fun to catch a decent bass on. So yes it can be used for bass too

Also it's pretty cool that your doing this, My wife won't even go with me to a sporting goods store. She would rather sit in the car or not go at all. ;D

Also it's pretty cool that your doing this, My wife won't even go with me to a sporting goods store. She would rather sit in the car or not go at all. ;D

x2 lol...trout or ultralight rods are waaaaay fun for bass fishing a 3-5lb. fish feels like your fighting a shark.hope he enjoys it and it turns him to the "baitmonkey" haha.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I think he'll like it! He's been wanting to start fishing for a while now, but I've been acting like it's a bad idea, so he'd be surprised.

I'm no trout expert but as he is just getting into fishing I don't think I'd go with an ultralight right off the bat. I'd go with a light or Medium light if he is going to use it for bass as well. Sort of "split the difference" so to speak.

Maybe an Abu Garcia spinning combo with a Cardianl reel? It might be in your budget range but I'm not positive.

FFI - AKA Matt crum

I'm no trout expert but as he is just getting into fishing I don't think I'd go with an ultralight right off the bat. I'd go with a light or Medium light if he is going to use it for bass as well. Sort of "split the difference" so to speak.

Maybe an Abu Garcia spinning combo with a Cardianl reel? It might be in your budget range but I'm not positive.

FFI - AKA Matt crum

i could agree with this,being new to fishing he might not be familiar with how to set and use the drag on a spinning reel,a spinning reel set up you use the pole to muscle in and land the fish the reels is just there to pick up line,a baitcaster set up however the reel in that case is used to fight and land the fish.i know confusing but maybe "middle of the road" might be good for a first timer....like a med.action rod and a size 2000-2500 spinning reel. with some 4-6 lb. test fishing line.