Sign in to follow this  
uicdent11

Spinnerbaits on a MH Avid?

Just wondering if any of you throw spinnerbaits on either a 6'6 or 7'0 MH Avid? I find the action too fast for moving baits. This is why I have the rod of for trade. For those that have this rod, what are your uses? I really like throwing plastics with it, but this means that I have to throw spinnerbaits on my cranking setup.

Am I asking too much of a rod to handle spinnerbaits, some topwater, and occasional plastics?

It will handle spinnerbaits perfectly. I have the 7MH and it works great. A medium might be better. Also I use it as a jig and worm and buzzbait. Well actually pretty much anything because I will walk the shore with only one rod and it will do everything.

I use a St Croix legend 6'6 or 7'0 MH for spinnerbaits and it works great.

"I find the action too fast for moving baits"

I'm not sure what you mean. All of my MH fast rods do very well with spinnerbaits. They cast accurate and I can feel the vibe of the bait. I can feel when a bass comes up and bumps a bait instead of strikes. Hooksets are instant and the rod doubles as a jig/worm rod.

Please explain what you mean.

Am I asking too much of a rod to handle spinnerbaits, some topwater, and occasional plastics?
All I use are 6'6" to 7' SC2 and SC3 MHF blanks for my personal spinnerbait/buzzbait rods, mounted with 5.1:1 and 6.2:1 GR reels...

Tight Lines!!!!

War,

I mean that the rod tip is too fast and it seems to load up rather quickly for spinnerbaits/buzzbaits.It has the action that I think (thought) most like in a soft plastics rod.

From reading each of your responses, I think it is only fair to give it a try next time I am out. I really don't have much experience comparing rods yet and I appreciate all your help.

Yes, hmmm, I see. What you really want is the Avid medium fast, instead of the medium heavy fast. You are the one who has to fish it. But I have drooled over the different Avids enough to imagine what it is that you mean. I like the MH fast for spinners for the reasons that I mentioned. Especially if the spinnerbait is on the heavy side. But a Med fast will do 1/4-3/8 spinners easy.

For my spinner baits I have 2 rods I use.  I have a 6' 10" MH/XF and a 7' MH/F rod.  I really like them both.  The 6' 10" MH/XF also is my rod I use for jigs.

Later, :o

MH St Croix rods are beasts.  

Some people like very fast rods for spinnerbaits, some like mod/fast rods...I'm somewhere in the middle.

I like a MH Croix for blades, but only when I'm chucking big baits, or fishing cover.  For open water weed-work, I like a seven footer, and for beatin' the banks, I like a rod between 5'10" and 6'3".

Maybe a 6'6" rod with a softer action could be your blade/topwater rod, and then a fast/xfast for plastics.

I think it is the big blades and buzzbaits that I need to throw with it. I will throw the lighter stuff on either a 6'3 Crucial or 7' Compre CB rod. This will allow me to still use the Avid for plastics on the occasion that I am not throwing them on spinning gear. With your help, I think I have answered my original question. Thanks again.

That's what I use my 7'MH Avis for.  I find that it handles most spinnerbaits very well, kinda hard to cast finesse spinners on but other than that I find it suited quiet well for the job.  Personally, I like a bit stiffer rod for blades, I just don't like my rod to load up too much with larger baits.