Sign in to follow this  
Little Luey

new rod and reel setup, which line?

I got me a new reel, Jonny Morris signature series ans a new rod, a 6'6" turney special medium power, fast tip.

I was thinking about using it for crankbaits/spinnerbaits and/or plastics (t-rigs and so on).

if I use it for cranks and spinnerbaits I wanted to use power pro, maybe 20lbs, but not sure what to use for the t-rig and other plastics, any suggestions?

which would be the best use for this setup?

I wouldn't use braid on the tourney special just because I would worry about it grooving the guides.  I have a 7'M and though it's a good rod, the guides aren't great.  I would suggest you go with 10-12 lb P-Line CXX for all applications.

I wouldn't use braid on the tourney special just because I would worry about it grooving the guides. I have a 7'M and though it's a good rod, the guides aren't great. I would suggest you go with 10-12 lb P-Line CXX for all applications.

x2...that rod wont handle braid...atleast not for long it will tear up your guides,go with cxx like big rick said or berkley 100% fluorcarbon is nice and for a cheap line yozuri hybrid is excellent.

I wouldn't use braid on the tourney special just because I would worry about it grooving the guides. I have a 7'M and though it's a good rod, the guides aren't great. I would suggest you go with 10-12 lb P-Line CXX for all applications.

x2...that rod wont handle braid...atleast not for long it will tear up your guides,go with cxx like big rick said or berkley 100% fluorcarbon is nice and for a cheap line yozuri hybrid is excellent.

I have 2 Tourney Special spinning rods that I thow 20# Sufix braid on. I've used braid on these rods for the past 3-4 years. I had a concern with the braid cutting groves in the guides as well so I check them regularly. I haven't had an issue with mine.

As for the lure selection, I don't think you're going to be happy using that rod for plastics. IMO, there's just not enough backbone in them for a good hookset. It'll make an ok crankin rod for sure. I prefer a MH for spinnerbaits but that's just my style. Hope this helps!