Sign in to follow this  
DINK WHISPERER

Topwater rod........help?????

Hello all!

I have never had a designated rod for top water lures. I throw buzz baits and poppers with my MH/F Crankin Stick. But i need a rod to throw lures like Rage Tail shads/toads, Ribbits etc through thick lily pads and grass. What do i need to look for in a rod to do this? I may be able to use one that i already have!

THANKS

I think a seven foot heavy fast with 17 or 20 pound mono is a pretty safe bet.

Sweet deal! I might be able to use my 7' 3" Falcon Cara Amistad or my Powell 7' 705C. They both have fluor on the reels though! I need some spare spools now! Anymore suggestions?

7 foot H Fast Action with 55lb braid will do the trick!!!

I would go with nothing less than a MH action rod.  For the rod lenght I would not go below a 7 footer.  As for the line, I would go with 50 lb. braid for sparse grasses and lily pads; when the veggies are more numerous I would go to 65 lb. braid, maybe even 80 lb. braid.

Man, i need some spare reels because my rods all multi-task but most have fluoro on them!

I would say a 7'3"-7'6" MH or H, If you plan to be on top of weeds, a heavier rod will make life a little bit easier.

Man, i need some spare reels because my rods all multi-task but most have fluoro on them!

NOT GOOD FOR TOPWATER!

the ultimate topwater braid reel...abu toro!!!!!!

Why on earth would you need a Toro on a rod for topwater applications?  I don't think there's a need for 200+ yards of braid :o

That's what i was thinking! My bro has one for running big deep swimbaits! It is HEAVY too!

the ultimate topwater braid reel...abu toro!!!!!!

Why on earth would you need a Toro on a rod for topwater applications? I don't think there's a need for 200+ yards of braid :o

woops my mistake ment to put abu revo..sorry bouts that

I just sold a perfect rod on the flea market here.  It was a Team All Star Big Boy, MH, fast 7'2" rod.  A real bully stick.  

I use my 7-6 XH flipping stick for this stuff.

You guys actually use flippin' sticks for Rage Tail and Ribbit frog type lures!?! My Powell Flippin' stick has ZERO tip so that is no fun! I use it for heaver hollow frogs like the Mann's or Spro frogs!