Sign in to follow this  
Blues19

Looking at BPS Crankin Stick

I have heard they are really nice for the money.  I was wondering, what would be the best size to get for an all around crankin rod.  I am also going to get a REVO Winch for the setup.  What do you all think?  I will be using it for deep cranking and shallow cranking.   Probably more for deep cranking.  Plan on throwing DD22s and Strike King Series 5 Cranks, as well as smaller baits.  

6'6" or 7'?

and M or MH?  

I dont do alot of cranking yet but am starting to get into more and more tournaments so I am going to need too.  Thanks!!!!!!!!

i would get the 7' mhvy..crankin rods tend to be alot lighter than the action suggests...plus i like to have a bit more back bone...its personal preferance really...the 7ft will get you more casting distance..gander mountain has a crankin rod for like 30 bucks...a buddy of mine gave me one and its not bad to be honest...i have actually used it quit a bit...kind of a pleasent supirse

Throwing DD22's?  Definitely the 7' MHVY.

Throwing DD22's? Definitely the 7' MHVY.

I agree as well. I first bought the M/F and the tip is way too soft(even for a crankin' rod)! I broke it in a rod locker and got the MH/F and all is well now. Can't go wrong for the $ IMO!

Throwing DD22's? Definitely the 7' MHVY.

x2,i have this rod and i like it alot for deep cranks,its lighter then labeled i think and it has good action,the winch is a great choice for crankin with the low gears on it,that will be a very nice crank setup.i have an abu roundie on mine and it handles med-deep cranks well.i dont use braid on mine though not sure how those guides will handle it i use 100%fluoro 15-17 lb.

I have a Winch on a 7'6" MH.  I went with the 7'6" since it telescoped ;)  Looking back, I probably would have just got the 7' MH

love mine.  use it all the time.  suggest you get it.  ;)

7-foot is best.  ;)

Definitely not the Medium. I had it and it was great for shallow to medium divers (0-8'), but deeper than that I would go with the MH. 7'6 if you are throwing real deep stuff.

what kind of line would you all use for cranking?  I was thinking 10# Yo Zuri hybrid. Is that ok?

Are you getting the Crankin Stick on sale? It is a good deal on sale, but not so much if you are paying full price. On a side note, I sold mine for a Shimano Compre. I think it is real similar to the Crucial CB rod; same TC4 construction. Just something to think about before you pull the trigger.

what kind of line would you all use for cranking? I was thinking 10# Yo Zuri hybrid. Is that ok?

depends,are you crankn open waters or near structures and blowdowns or whatever. if open yea, id maybe go 12lb like uic if structure id go 15lb.i use 15lb fluoro for mine (trilene 100% fluoro) also have a shallow crank/wakebait set up with 12lb yozuri.

I use 3, but I throw a lot of cranks. I use 2 of the 7' Medium rods, one spooled with 15# Yozuri Hybrid for shallow crankin', the other with 12# floro for medium sized cranks like the Dt10 & Wiggle Warts to get them a little deeper. I prefer the Medium action rods for almost all my cranks except for hard pulling baits like the DD 22's & DT 16's I use a 7'6" MH, for most cranks the medium rod lets the baits wiggle a little more, the MH in my opinion deadens the action of certain baits. I also use a 6'9" spinning rod with 8# Yozuri Hybrid, this is for light baits like the RC 0.5 & Shad Raps and some other tiny cranks that I throw from time to time.