Sign in to follow this  
SoFlaBassAddict

To leader or not to leader...

As I was re spooling my SINGLE casting reel (yes yes I know) that I regularly use, I was thinking to myself, should I be using a leader attached to my mainline or not. I've noticed that I go through a bunch of line over the course of a few months as I tend to change lures out on that rod/reel at least once or twice a day. Let me first go out and say that I don't spend ridiculous cash on line for this rod and reel as bass fishing is more of a hobby that I take kind of jokingly. I don't go out and dump heavy braid or whatnot on my bass gear. I save that for my offshore tackle. I use cheap 8-12 test that I get for like 4 bucks a spool from BPS. It works, it's cheap. But even still I was just wondering how many of you actually use leaders. One thing I noticed was that for some reason when I've seen people using leaders on TV is that a lot of times they're using leaders that are lighter than the mainline, me being a saltwater person think's thats just darn silly. Would appreciate any input on this, thanks.

I pretty much agree with everything you say and I target inshore species.

I buy nothing special for bass, in my opinion it isn't needed.  I use the 10#  unused braid from a spool a I've used for saltwater.  When it comes to leaders which I always use, I double my line strength, 10#=20lb leader, 15#=30#leader and so on.

I don't use fluorcarbon , catch as many fish without it, keep my lures to a selected few both fresh and saltwater and my production is good.  I'm not adverse to trying something new but over 50 years of fishing has taught me that everything catches fish, it isn't the bow it's the archer.  There is no such thing as a magic lure.

I only use a leader if I'm using braid. Besides that, unless I'm vertically fishing extremely clear water, fluoro is not needed. I use 12 - 15 pound P - Line CFX Premium Fluorocarbon Leader Material.

fresh......... straight braid, all the way (40# suffix)

salt (inshore, same reel and pole)........ tie on a mono leader to the 40# suffix....(use 40lb mono leader, tied with an improved albright knot).

in my opinion, if you arent targeting fish with teeth........ what the heck is the point of a leader?

i catch plenty of bass on straight braid, and they dont mind.....

after all, their still willing to bite a piece of plastic with hooks hanging out of it, right ;)

I always use a fluorocarbon or regular mono leader..... but then I always use braided line. If I were using mono for my mainline (thank God i'm not) I wouldn't bother with a leader most of the time.

Peace,

Fish

Fishing for freshwater bull shark?  40# wow, man up.......lol

Posted by: SirSnookalot      Posted on: Today at 1:51am

Quote:

Fishing for freshwater bull shark?  40# wow, man up.......lol

overkill.... i know.....

but it is the same rod and reel i use for inshore salt, so its good for one.....and overkill on the other ;)

I use 65# straight braid for flippin'/pitchin' heavy cover here in FL. There is no such thing as "overkill" when pulling an 8lb + fish out of lily pads so thick you can hardly see the water under them!!!!!!!!!!!!         ;)

Posted by: SirSnookalot      Posted on: Today at 1:51am

Quote:

Fishing for freshwater bull shark? 40# wow, man up.......lol

overkill.... i know.....

but it is the same rod and reel i use for inshore salt, so its good for one.....and overkill on the other ;)

I'll forgive ya on that, but for inshore I mostly use 15# braid, handles most fish up to 40-50#.

For me it's not the conquest but the chase.....hehe.