Sign in to follow this  
Linesides

Falcon or Dobyns??

After some research, I really like the Falcon Cara CCB-5-173DR or the new Dobyns 805 Randy McAbee Cranking Rod. They are more than I originally wanted to spend, but have the characteristics in a rod that I'm looking for.

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience (pros and cons) with either rod and what would be the better choice for cranking the Norman DD22 type crankbaits  Thanks!!

Eric

I don't throw DD22's, nor do I own the 805CB Dobyns Rod, but I have 14 Dobyns Rods as of right now, and absolutely love them. I have 2 friends both who use the 805CB for all their deep cranking and swear by them.

I have no experience with the Cara, sorry.

The only Dobyns i own is a 705 for T-rigs but i own several falcons. I would take the Falcon rods any day! The new Caras are absolutely amazing! Sensitive, strong, extremely light and very stylish. The Dobyns is a good rod but it just didnt do it for me. I prefer Powell rods. Same benefits but WAAAAY less! I get the Falcons at a discount though!

The only Dobyns i own is a 705 for T-rigs but i own several falcons. I would take the Falcon rods any day! The new Caras are absolutely amazing! Sensitive, strong, extremely light and very stylish. The Dobyns is a good rod but it just didnt do it for me. I prefer Powell rods. Same benefits but WAAAAY less! I get the Falcons at a discount though!

Lighter, better guides, more sensitive, more models, and VERY well balanced.

Powells balance incredibly poor causing them to feel much heavier. So I wouldn't say SAME benefits, but some guys don't want to pay the extra $$$.

All rods with split grips over 7' will be tip heavy to a point! As for more sensitive, i don't think so! Powells are stronger and have stiffer tips for same action comparisons(i like that). Better guides yes, stylisg, not to me. Worth $100-170 more, NO WAY!

I love my Dobyn's Swimbait Rod!  Don't really know about the Falcon's though.  

I dont have any experience with Dobyn's rods but I love my Cara.  They are great rods