Sign in to follow this  
BassAssasin2

Abu Garcia Pro Max Review

I just bought this reel and want to know if i should take it back and get the revo s. Or should i just stick with the pro max. Input please. Is the pro max a good reel?

I've never used a Pro Max, but the fact is has a "polymeric" frame would make me get the Revo S.   The Revo is bullet proof.

I have one its OK i been putting mine through he double l  its holding up so far .Very smooth but like micro said the revo s is the way to go u can buy um used all day from 70 to 90 bucks and some even brand new in box if u look hard

I have one its OK i been putting mine through he double l its holding up so far .Very smooth but like micro said the revo s is the way to go u can buy um used all day from 70 to 90 bucks and some even brand new in box if u look hard

X2

I used a couple Silver Max's for awhile.  They cast great and have a Revo like feel on the rod.  They also seemed to get noisy from time to time, as though things didn't mesh up everytime you re-engaged after a cast.  I'm sure it was due to the plastic frame and tolerances that weren't spot on.  They also didn't feel Revo solid when fighting a fish back.

I'd go with a Revo S rather than the Pro max.  It's only an additional $20-30 more and honestly those reels are pretty rock solid.  

flexy and squeaky but absolutely amazing casting distance and the magnetic braking works great (worlds better in my experience than the revo SX's magnetic brakes). the revos are actually slightly more compact than the max reels and all revos have one-piece metal frames, making them smoother and quieter. my revo S was very easy to cast and fish with too but i could never get the distance i could with the pro max, even with only one of the centrifugal brakes on. the revo S will definitely outlast the pro max and feels much more solid.

You're right there Frank.  The mag brake worked wonders on that Silver max as compared to either an SX or STX.  Those plastic reels will cast a country mile with ease, even smaller baits.  

I bought one about a month ago, and I'll ditto what just about everyone else has been saying. Mechanically and performance-wise, it's a good reel for the price. However, I don't expect it to outlast a revo. Basically, it's been doing the trick and getting the job done but once I expand my budget I'll definitely be making it my low end reel.