Sign in to follow this  
jack1

Color that Hi-Vis

I'm using the Hi-Vis yellow PowerPro line and I love the fact that you can see the line really wellI don't like having to tie on a leader though.

I've had numerous times already this year that the leader has failed and snapped on me.  I've had it and made up my mind to not tie on a leader anymore.

I've heard that some people use a black permanent marker to color a few feet of that line.  I'm just curious if that works.  I know that permanent markers leave a very distinct smell and I'm just worried that that scent will have an effect on the fish committing to the lure.

So for those who have used this method or heard of it, please chime in and let me know if this is the route I could switch to.

I use my power pro for cranking, flipping, and deep jigging. I don't need to see the line to know a fish is there. I've never used a leader, and this high vis thing is a joke. If you cant feel a fish on braid you might need to find a new hobby.

I use my power pro for cranking, flipping, and deep jigging. I don't need to see the line to know a fish is there. I've never used a leader, and this high vis thing is a joke. If you cant feel a fish on braid you might need to find a new hobby.
some ppl fish by watching their line others by feel..making a statement that cause of his line he needs to find a new hobbie...dude your a nitwit,anyways

my fishing partner uses that line and thinks the same,that it will spook the fish,so what he does is the night b4 hell take a 10-12' section of it and dip it in red spike it dye,works for him,he gets hits and brings in the fish,only down side to it imo is that your line stinks like garlic and could make your reel stink.he said hes going to try food dye next time.

A bit harsh there sweet daddy, the guy is just trying to get an answer not get insulted.

To answer your question properly, I color my braided lines w/ a black Sharpie marker; especially after it fades from the original color.  The smell eventually wears off after a few casts.  I've caught numerous bass & other fish w/ my braided line re-colored so I guess the fish don't care...then again I chew Grizzly mint tobacco & get that on the line & lure & have caught fish.  Makes me wonder if the fish around my area don't mind mint. ;)

I used yellow braid before & colored the end w/ a black Sharpie.  Keep in mind that the black will bleed onto the non colored yellow line, but that's only so many feet of it but you can still see the yellow where it counts.  

I color about 6-10' w/ the black Sharpie.  Get the Sharpie w/ the wide tip & slice down the middle of it.  You can then run your braided line through that & makes the job easier.

Thank you for those of you who kindly answered my question.

I've had numerous occasions when a bass has taken my jig on the fall and darted off with it on slack line.  The ability to see my line dart off before I feel the strike has given me an edge in numerous occasions and because of that, I've boated some nice fish.

i use orange line for frog fishing.when they hit i give them slack,and wait for my line to move to one side then i set the hook.i use a sharpie on the first 15 feet.fish dont smell it.rub some scent on it if your still worried ;)

you could also use a tracer braid...I know there is a fireline tracer braid, not so sure about powerpro, I don't use powerpro.  Toray also makes a finesse braid that has a white section every meter or so.