Sign in to follow this  
NewAngler

baitcasting question

I just got the abu garcia 4600C3 and have been having issues and I don't know where the problem is coming from.

Thid has happenbd twice; while I'm fishing I occasionally get an over run. I'll fix the over run and I cast out again but it seems like somehow there is a knot in the spool and cannot pull it out. Am I spoolking it wrong? Casting poorly, or something else. Any input is greatly appreciated!

The Reel Mechanic has a tutorial of reel set up. If you have done all of this correctly, make sure that you are pulling ALL of the backlash coils out before reeling up your line. I don't think it is the SPOOLKING ;) If you cannot pull them at first, dig your thumb into the spool and reel 5 or 6 times, then pull out. You may need to do it a few times.

If you are using braid or mono, always pull out  well past the the first overrun/backlash.  Often time another one is below the first, especially with braid.

i'm using flouro, and i usually do. it seems like a knot is formed somehow. i must be doing something wrong.

thanks, guys.

Kind of odd. I know flouro is nice I switched to braid 50# powerpro on my worm rod and absolutly love how it casts and how less likely I am seeming to be with backlashes and mishaps. Id say just run the knot out of the line or run the whole line out and then re-spool it back on.

thats the thing, i cant get it out, it seems like its knotted below the "surface line" i pul and pull but it just wont free itself.

sometimes the line will bury itself under layers of other line. Pull it out as far as you can, then you can usually see a loop that has formed over the line that is preventing it from coming off the spool. Use your fingernails to pull at that loop until it loosens up. Then try to pull the line some more. If it is buried really deep you may have to just respool.

Sounds like the top of the line is somehow buried under a loop or two of the line.  The easiest way to confirm this is to remove the spool completely from the reel and undo the line til you get to your knot. Then wrap the line back onto the spool and put the spool back into the reel. It can happen, although infrequently, usually when the top of the line is already under a loop of line underneath it and you feed the line through the line guide.

Try pulling the line out to just about where it stops. At that point press your thumb against the spool and reel in a few spool turns then try pulling it again. Don't try to force the line free, you may just make the spot of the bind even tighter. As a last resort you can try picking the line with a tweezers to attempt to get to whats stopping it. If you just can't get, no matter what, then its time to just cut line and respool with new should too much be lost.

You may need to refine the reel setup as far as cast control knob and/or brakes and you need to be aware of using thumb to slow and stop the spool.

We ALL get backlashes, it's trying to keep them to a minimum. It's a learning process as with anything else. It gets easier with time and practice. It never hurts to practice in your yard or anyplace you can cast in some grass or water. You may think people beleive you're nuts but then who cares what they think.

Good luck.

You guys were right on! Thanks, dudes. Haven't correct the issue yet but what was described is exactly what has happened.

You guys were right on! Thanks, dudes. Haven't correct the issue yet but what was described is exactly what has happened.

Have you pulled the side cover and turned on any pin brakes?

Every reel I've bought has had all the brakes in the OFF position from the factory. I generally put every other brake ON and go from there. I like keeping things balanced and that's why I do every other one or brakes directly accross from each other. That keeps the weight better balanced.

i'm using flouro, and i usually do. it seems like a knot is formed somehow. i must be doing something wrong.

thanks, guys.

In answer to you main question like another said you are (k)not       ( pun intended) getting out all the backlash. You must make sure you go back all the way on the spool to the last problem ( often many turns and then some ).

Just like bait casting even removing backlashes takes practice. You just have to learn the feel as to when you've got all the lashes out.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.

FFI - AKA Matt Crum

i'm using flouro, and i usually do.

New Angler, not to complicate things, but this should not go unmentioned. Probably by now you've pulled pretty hard trying to undo the backlash. I can just about guarantee that somewhere in that backlash is a "Hard Kink" in your Flouro. This "Hard Kink" is going to cause line failure for sure the first few times it is stressed. My advise at this time would be to cut the Backlash out getting well below it into the spool.  Now since Flouro isn't the cheapest line out there, use what line is left as backing and tie into the new line with a Blood knot or knot of your choice and fill the spool. I've found that for me, about 60-70 yards of Flouro is sufficient for my casting ability.

FYI, some KVD Line & Lure applied to your line will help also.

HAng in there and keep us updated.

Have you pulled the side cover and turned on any pin brakes?

is there a website to show me how to do this? i have an abu garicia 4600C3