Sign in to follow this  
ArcticCat500

surprised & dissappointed

I purchased a new (red) Fuego 2500. When I got the reel I was shocked to see that it was actually smaller then my Tierra 2500, the handle seemed cheesier, and for some reason a reel of supposedly higher quality wasn't quite what I expected. Although its very smooth, light and comfortable to fish all day I was somewhat surprised! Just my 2cents.

I think the size is mainly a reference to spool size. The smaller, lighter body is how all the fuego's are (or at least were) And the drags were absolutely butter smooth.   ;)

I bought a Fuego 3000 a few years ago, a main selling point was that it was a 2500 size body (and much lighter than other 3000's) with the 3000 size spool. Overall weight was lighter than all but the most expensive 2500's.

Would a bigger, heavier reel with the same spool size seem to be better quality? Didn't you look up the specs before purchasing the new reel????

I did research the reel in question as well as the Sol, I agree, but what really hit me was the handle, I was able to put a few hours on it yesterday and it did feel great, maybe Im looking for to much of a difference in the 2. Thanks flechero, your observations make more sense then just another giant 2500 sized heavy reel. You know of a handle that may fit the Fuego?

I did research the reel in question as well as the Sol, I agree, but what really hit me was the handle, I was able to put a few hours on it yesterday and it did feel great, maybe Im looking for to much of a difference in the 2. Thanks flechero, your observations make more sense then just another giant 2500 sized heavy reel. You know of a handle that may fit the Fuego?

When you say the "handle", are you meaning the knob/grip?  The handle itself is aluminum & nearly identical to the Tierra handle.  If you want to replace just the knob it's really easy to take it off.  Why don't you try & see if you can switch it out with your Tierra knob.  If it works, and you like it better, just buy another Tierra knob.

yea, thats it...the knob is very cheesy, how do they come off?

thanks

The knob has a cap with a tiny hole in the middle, grab a paper clip, unfold it, bend the tip in a 90° angle to form an L, insert the tip, straighen up and pull, the cap comes off, unscrew the knob and place in the new one, grab the cap and press it against the knob.